Old dog gone.

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
tfbncc

Old dog gone.

Post by tfbncc »

Oreo, my oldest dog, passed away in the middle of the night. It was her time and I was expecting it. But it's going to leave a little hole in my soul for awhile. I still don't know what breed of dog she was, but we had her for 16 really good years. She was a little bundle of energy much like a Jack Russell terrier, but shorter coupled and shorter legs. She was fast and sneaky as well. Her list of of confirmed kills (food stolen) includes half a rotisserie chicken almost as big as she was, a whole pound of sandwich ham that she took right off the table while we unloaded groceries from the car, 8 ounces of smoke salmon, and various small bits of food left on plates. When she was young, she could jump up onto any piece of furniture. But her favorite pastime was burrowing. She would burrow into a laundry basket full of clothes and the only way you knew she was there was if you saw her nose poking up like a submarine snorkel.

But, she had grown old. She no longer jumped. She was almost blind in both eyes which made it difficult for her with the other animals. If they startled her, she would lash out at them. Over the last couple of weeks I notices that she was having increasing difficulty breathing. She had been coughing up a lot of mucus. Last night, it took all her energy just to try and breathe. I made her as comfortable as possible, putting her in a laundry basket of old clothes and rags made up just for her. And this morning she was gone. I asked God to make a little space for her. He'll like her, she has a larcenous heart with a winning smile.

ImageImageImage
Cybrludite

Re: Old dog gone.

Post by Cybrludite »

My condolences.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

A good way to head home. Rest, Oreo.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

My condolences
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Our dogs are part of us; they take a bit of our souls with them when they go. It hurts, but it grows back. Slowly.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I'm sorry to hear that, but I was glad to hear that she passed at home. That's a way I wish all my pets would go. That's how I hope I go.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

RIP, Oreo.
randy

Post by randy »

She was warm, dry, fed and loved. That's the best we can do for any creature. RIP
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Dinochrome One wrote:Our dogs are part of us; they take a bit of our souls with them when they go. It hurts, but it grows back. Slowly.
No, but if we're lucky, we can find one to fill the space they leave when they go.

Will Rogers said "If dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they go." My feelings, too.

Hope where she is now, they have laundry baskets full of clothes for her to burrow in, and all the tables are low.
Last edited by First Shirt on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Good long life, well lived. I'm sorry for your loss.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.