Small sailing catamaran wanted.

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Termite

Small sailing catamaran wanted.

Post by Termite »

Junior Termite is looking for a decent used 16ft-18ft Hobie Cat, or similiar catamaran. His budget is $2000 or less(yeah, yeah, I know....). Preferably in the Gulf Coast area; or no further north than central OK, southern MO, southern TN, etc.

He has been checking the usual ads. But if ya'll know of something personally that isn't being advertised online, please post it here.

Thanks.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Steamforger

Re: Small sailing catamaran wanted.

Post by Steamforger »

There were quite a few of these in the New Orleans area when I was working at the yacht yard. I can't imagine finding one that needs a little sweat equity would be too tough.

One for parts

West Mobile 16 footer

I'd guess a CL search between Galveston and Panama City would be pretty productive.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Lucky Junior!

Can't help much from over here, other than to hope he finds a nice one - I rather like Darts and TopCats, myself, (much handier than the high-end Tornado I used to sail with my brother), but Hobie is the big name, so more of those are likely to be around.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Well, a few weeks ago he found one in the Orlando FL area at a "deal" price. Drove over, bought it, and hauled it back.

It works: no hull leaks, basically sound..........but it is a "project"............
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Best of luck with the new project to yours & you. I am starting to mull (it will just be the mulling stage for a while yet) a kayak with a sailing rig -- it would be fun to mess around with on the mighty Susquehanna. 8-)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:Best of luck with the new project to yours & you. I am starting to mull (it will just be the mulling stage for a while yet) a kayak with a sailing rig -- it would be fun to mess around with on the mighty Susquehanna. 8-)
Only if your kayak draws less than two inches of water. Depending where you're at.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Termite wrote:Well, a few weeks ago he found one... basically sound..........but it is a "project"............
You know that boats are holes in the water into which one throws money? Fair winds, following seas and well wear!