Moving thread, I guess

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Greg

Moving thread, I guess

Post by Greg »

Tired and sore but can't sleep yet so I'll tell a bit about the move.

Movers arrived between 9 and 10 am Monday. They loaded all our stuff into a truck and then went to Wendy's. Actually that's not a joke. Loading took 6 hours, and after they finished they seemed to be hungry. We were at the gas station next door topping off and adjusting tire air pressure.

We had sensitive stuff locked in the trunk of the Accord, and all the other random stuff we wanted to keep with us in the back if the CRV. Handed in our keys and left the apartment a bit before 4. Saw our stuff again while fueling, then it was off to return our cable modem and cable card. After that it was west on 80. Yes, we started a cross country drive during rush hour. BTW, those little Motorola blister pack radios are dynamite for caravanning cars.

We didn't quite make it to the far side of PA the first night. Tuesday was a drive-all-day affair. Made it to our hotel in MO late Tuesday.

This morning was the final walkthrough then closing. Signed papers until our hands cramped, handed over a small truckload of money, and got some keys and garage door openers in exchange. Good deal! Dropped some stuff off at the new house, but spending another night in the hotel (no bed, it's on a truck).

As for appliances, we have a stove and a dishwasher. Oh and a microwave. Need everything else, stat. Recommendations on where to buy major appliances in the St Louis metro area would be appreciated. :)

I am now a MO resident with an address and everything. There are a surprising number of people in NJ I wish the best of luck to, but the place as a whole? Like the song says, learn to swim. (And we lived in a town that consistently made Money Magazine's list of best places to live in the US. Yes, very best, in the whole US. It really is a sweet town, Guidice's and all. Shame about it being in NJ.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Re: Moving thread, I guess

Post by Netpackrat »

Congrats on finally making good your escape.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Congratulations. Best of luck with getting settled in.
randy

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I'm a former St Looey resident and still have family there. Once you make a few cultural adjustments from how they do things in Jersey, I predict you'll love it.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Congrats Greg!

Sorry to see you go, but glad you escaped.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:I am now a MO resident with an address and everything.
Welcome!

I suspect the pace will be a lot slower and more casual than you've been used to.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Good on ya!

I have some more years left here. But I will be escaping, too.

It's really a shame. Aside from the regulations, taxes, gun laws, public unions, etc., I actually love a lot of things about NJ. But alas, the politics of the left have ruined this once great state.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I have some great memories of the Jersey Shore. Of course, a Jersey Girl was involved...
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Glad to hear that you survived. Moving is not for the faint of heart.