Moving thread, I guess

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
First Shirt

Re: Moving thread, I guess

Post by First Shirt »

Welcome to fly-over country!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:I went to get my MO driver's license today.

Is MO a real place? :)

Because the process was quick, inexpensive, and the lady who helped me was fast, efficient, and downright friendly. The whole thing took like 10 minutes and cost 20 bucks.
Mine's like that, too.

What First Shirt said. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:

Because the process was quick, inexpensive, and the lady who helped me was fast, efficient, and downright friendly. The whole thing took like 10 minutes and cost 20 bucks.
Mine's like that, too.

It makes me wonder about cause and effect, and which way it flows.

Because if outposts of local government in flyover country are so good, why aren't people clamoring for more of that?

And if every instance where people actually interact with agents of the gov't in blue country is so horribly bad, inefficient, incompetent, punitive, surly, abusive, etc, why are people in those areas always looking for more and more gov't? Everyone in NJ *knows* how horrible motor vehicle is, but they all seem to want to put the same people who are responsible for motor vehicle in charge of *everything*.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:It makes me wonder about cause and effect, and which way it flows.

Because if outposts of local government in flyover country are so good, why aren't people clamoring for more of that?

And if every instance where people actually interact with agents of the gov't in blue country is so horribly bad, inefficient, incompetent, punitive, surly, abusive, etc, why are people in those areas always looking for more and more gov't? Everyone in NJ *knows* how horrible motor vehicle is, but they all seem to want to put the same people who are responsible for motor vehicle in charge of *everything*.
Answering without deep consideration:

Why aren't people clamoring for more/why do people want gov in charge of everything?

The ones who want more of the good are a) mostly working for a living so have little time to fight that fight, and b) feel hopelessly outnumbered by the eaters.

The ones who want more gov in charge a) aren't working so they have time to put up with abuse, b) are already surly and incompetent themselves so they think it's normal, and c) know which side their bread is buttered on.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

To lighten things a little, when we first moved in we noticed some ants in the garage. Since then we've had other ant-y encounters.

I might have mentioned all our stuff (except what we brought with us in the cars) is on a truck. That includes my router, and my wireless AP. (Points, actually I have 3 but 2 are old and are really just around as spares.) So when we got here, we went to Microcenter and bought some stuff including a new AP/router.

So we have home internet, including wireless.

Our old wireless network names were a bad joke based off a persistent sinkhole/puddle/small pond in the pavement outside our (old) front door. Patched multiple times, never actually fixed.

So we needed new network names. I, with my typical humor, named us 'ant factory' and 'ant factory 5g'. My wife doesn't really do humor that dry and dark.

We have at least 2 bunnies/hares/whatevers that live somewhere near our back yard. We often see them nibbling our lawn. They're likely a breeding pair, but I suppose we'll find out for sure sometime later. Anyway, we're now 'bunny farm' + '5g'. Seems appropriate.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Went to renew my driver's license here. There were about 50 people in line.... Funny what happens when city folk flow in to a city, ruin it, then move to the nearby town. Anyway, I was griping about it at work and found out that I can renew on-line. 5 mins and 30ish bucks, and a week waiting for the mail and new license in the mail. I love technology and lazy government bureaucrats.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:So we needed new network names. I, with my typical humor, named us 'ant factory' and 'ant factory 5g'. My wife doesn't really do humor that dry and dark.
What? Decided against "FBI surveillance unit #5334534" :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

HTRN wrote:
Greg wrote:So we needed new network names. I, with my typical humor, named us 'ant factory' and 'ant factory 5g'. My wife doesn't really do humor that dry and dark.
My wife decreed when we got our new router that the network would be named "ReadyAimBoom." She always shoots down 4ChanPartyVan and DEACovert1.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Not situationally appropriate. Maybe in an apartment complex, or some place with more anonymity.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:

Mine's like that, too.

I confirmed just yesterday that the licensing office I had such a remarkably good experience with is, in fact, privately run. That lady who was so efficient and friendly both was *not* a government employee.