Previous Memories?????

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
308Mike

Previous Memories?????

Post by 308Mike »

Guys/Gals/FOLKS,

Let me share with you some so absolutely fresh in my memory which defies explanation - there's no way in HELL I can explain it.

Background: I have ALWAYS felt a drive to serve my country regardless of my dad's attempts to dissuade me from joining the military. Even as a small child, I had always admired and supported our military forces. I joined the Marines as a mid-term grad, headed to the air wing (since I loved to fly and shoot - and after the end of Vietnam, what better choice was there???). I'm not a gamer, nor a LARP'er, er-enactor, or ANYONE REMOTELY INTERESTED IN OLD BATTLEFIELD TECHNIQUES. I like knives and blades - always have:

but WTF would I be coming out of my anesthesia thinking I was in a battle, calling to those on my left and right, actually calling OUT LOUD (my wife and nurses heard it - and probably the folks across the passageway too) FOR MY SWORD, EVEN THOUGH I WAS HAVING DIFFICULTY BREATHING AS IF I HAD A CHEST WOUND (however my chest strap from my arm sling was farrrrr too tight, making it difficult to breathe)????

WTF????? I have NEVER held a gladius, nor ANY kind of European sword. The ONLY sword I've held in my life is the Wakasashi I bought for my wife (but I've ALWAYS admired well-made and crafted blades - throughout my life, even as a kid).

So, WHY would I be asking for such a sword when I have thousands of rounds and many hours of INSTINCT TRAINING on the firing line WITH FIREARMS?????

I can perform multiple malfunction drills and misfires with my SIG AND OR S&W 586, but God help me in any Manual-of-Arms for ANY kind of sword - so WHY would I wake up ready to fight and asking for MY SWORD??

I almost started swinging at my nurses even with a full nerve block for my right shoulder. I was ready to continue BATTLE even in my Recover Room.

Aesop - do you have any relevant experiences (and I'm posting this only hours after my surgery so I don't forget it)??? I woke up in the Recovery Room ready to continue BATTLE.

WTF?????
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
PawPaw

Re: Previous Memories?????

Post by PawPaw »

You read something once a long time ago. You considered it worthless information, but your brain recorded it nonetheless. In your anesthesia-addled, thought processes as your brain was trying to re-start, it settled on that one little tidbit of knowledge that your cognitive brain had discarded years earlier, and replayed it for you.

We only use a tiny percentage of our brain for thought processes. Some of it is used to keep us breathing, and our heart beating, and our pancreas working,etc, etc. There are parts of the brain that the doctors don't understand. During the re-start, parts of that came to life.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I blame the drugs, but it could always have been worse.

You know what this means though... You must buy a sword as part of the physical therapy for your shoulder.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

'Rat FTW!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I have had occasional dreams of times and people so far outside my experience I've wondered if they belong to someone else.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

SANCHO! MY ARMOR!
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

PawPaw wrote:You read something once a long time ago. You considered it worthless information, but your brain recorded it nonetheless. In your anesthesia-addled, thought processes as your brain was trying to re-start, it settled on that one little tidbit of knowledge that your cognitive brain had discarded years earlier, and replayed it for you.

We only use a tiny percentage of our brain for thought processes. Some of it is used to keep us breathing, and our heart beating, and our pancreas working,etc, etc. There are parts of the brain that the doctors don't understand. During the re-start, parts of that came to life.
I'm not buying that. It wasn't as if I was viewing the event from the outside - this was as if I was PERSONALLY involved. And much more like I was ACTUALLY there at that time. It was a PERSONAL memory, if that makes any sense. If I was reliving something I'd read, I wouldn't have had the vibrant details in my memory - which I can still recall. I KNOW & can feel that memory is something much deeper, something I've never accessed before.

I just can't shake the feeling (and I've had multiple previous surgeries before, but NONE of which brought forward such memories) that what I related was something I had actually lived through before!!! And it actually kinda' scares me.

My wife is still grateful that I wasn't calling out for a gun/firearm/M-16/service arm - which might have scared the other patients, such as my desire/need to have my sword to defend my fellow soldiers (and I still have the clear memory in my mind of my having a sucking chest wound and still calling for my sword to continue fighting).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

"Islam delenda est" Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

308Mike wrote:I'm not buying that. It wasn't as if I was viewing the event from the outside - this was as if I was PERSONALLY involved. And much more like I was ACTUALLY there at that time. It was a PERSONAL memory, if that makes any sense. If I was reliving something I'd read, I wouldn't have had the vibrant details in my memory - which I can still recall. I KNOW & can feel that memory is something much deeper, something I've never accessed before.

I just can't shake the feeling (and I've had multiple previous surgeries before, but NONE of which brought forward such memories) that what I related was something I had actually lived through before!!! And it actually kinda' scares me.

My wife is still grateful that I wasn't calling out for a gun/firearm/M-16/service arm - which might have scared the other patients, such as my desire/need to have my sword to defend my fellow soldiers (and I still have the clear memory in my mind of my having a sucking chest wound and still calling for my sword to continue fighting).
Okay, I was just trying to help.

OTOH, Patton (the elder) was convinved that he marched with Rome's Legions, and that he was with Napoleon on his retreat from Moscow.

Patton (the younger), at Knox in the '70s routinely said that he talked with his dad regularly. He wasn't talking about fond memories, etc, he told us that his father spoke with him about current decisions that needed to be made.

Who's to say that we haven't passed this way before? The idea goes against my religious beliefs, but I've been wrong before, and a large chunk of humanity believes in reincarnation.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw wrote:You read something once a long time ago. You considered it worthless information, but your brain recorded it nonetheless. In your anesthesia-addled, thought processes as your brain was trying to re-start, it settled on that one little tidbit of knowledge that your cognitive brain had discarded years earlier, and replayed it for you.

I'm with Paw Paw on this one. The subconscious does interesting things and it naturally relates everything to you. Your conscious mind doesn't have to remember it.