Detroit Iron, for the win!

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
evan price

Re: Detroit Iron, for the win!

Post by evan price »

Dinochrome One wrote: How many people actually take an eighteen-year-old car in for minor damage?
My 1989 Jeep Cherokee was rear-ended in 2009 (twenty years old and at the time it had 270,000 miles).
All damage was applied to the receiver hitch I had just installed the year before to replace the bumper hitch. I used Gr8 bolts and large thick washers so all the damage was it rolled my rear frame rails downwards until the leaf spring shackles were hitting the floor. All I wanted was to have the unibody pulled straight again, it was pulling teeth to get the insurance company not to total it out. At the time it was a rust-free but high miles beater that I didn't want to junk. I wound up agreeing to not take a rental car and allow aftermarket parts to keep the bill down, and they paid to repair it. The body shop guys thought I Was crazy, especially since the fuel pump went out on the way to the body shop and it barely ran.
However that old XJ still soldiers on with 300,000 on the clock and runs great.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Termite wrote:
Kommander wrote:Why rubber painted to look like chromed steel and not actual steel?
Liability. The same reason you shouldn't use a 6" Sch 80 steel pipe, cemented 36" in the ground, for a rural mailbox post. Tort lawyers can make your life hell if some teen driver hits it while texting; claim you created a "dangerous obstruction".
It's why I like the idea of a swing away mount put several feet back, and spring loaded for mailboxes.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

You're lucky to get a settlement.

I got in a car accident a couple of years ago. It's currently in the process of litigation. The other driver was at fault, and received a ticket, but, his insurance company won't actually settle. :roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Hmm. You may want to talk to another lawyer
Jered

Post by Jered »

No, it's just winding its way through the process. I think it's the insurance company that won't pay.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

We got the Tahoe back today, and it looks better than when we bought it. New rear bumper, new tow-bar, fresh paint on the tailgate and left rear quarter-panel, repaired driver's seat, re-aligned driver's-side door, and a wash/wax/polish job, all paid for out of the settlement check.

We're happy about how it turned out, but we don't want to repeat the experience!
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.