Detroit Iron, for the win!

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Dinochrome One

Detroit Iron, for the win!

Post by Dinochrome One »

This morning, we got rear-ended on the highway as we signaled and slowed for a right turn. The car that hit us was a Honda Civic moving at about forty miles per hour on impact. Our vehicle (1997 Chevy Tahoe) was driven forward violently and spun to the right on the gravel parking lot, ending up turned around 180 degrees.

The other vehicle came to rest about fifty feet away, steaming from the crushed radiator and smoking from two deployed air-bags. The driver, a young woman, was shaken and probably bruised, but otherwise okay. The front of her car was demolished, windshield broken, radiator folded back over the engine. After checking her and calling 911, we checked our vehicle and saw no obvious damage! There was some coolent from her radiator splashed on our rear bumper and some fragments of her turn-signal lenses stuck to our trailer-hitch.

Our air-bags didn't deploy. Closer inspection of our rear revealed that the trailer-hitch assembly was pushed forward about one-and-a-half inches and the body was distorted just enough to make the doors slightly tighter.

This is why I drive older iron,... :ugeek:
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Weetabix

Re: Detroit Iron, for the win!

Post by Weetabix »

Glad everyone is ok.

I went to school with a guy who had an old full-size, double cab, dually, 70's vintage. I can't remember the make, but you get the picture. He called it the Jolly Green Giant, and one of his favorite things was to show people the different paint smears on the back bumper where other, smaller cars had totaled themselves.

The only thing I can figure is that since his truck was a bit lighter than trees and grass, and it must have blended in. It was BIG, so they weren't missing seeing it based on size.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

My first car was a 1978 Dodge Magnum. I wish I still had it for that heavy body. I would just drop a modern engine in it and call it good. Glad you are ok.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Glad everyone is okay, but unless you've driven through Detroit, I doubt the car has ever been there. I don't know that they were ever built in Detroit. More likely, Arlington, TX.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

My 97 F150 4wd stretch cab 8' bed was hit in the rear by a 2010 Impala at about 25mph. I felt a jolt. My trailer hitch ball split her hood to the windshield destroying the front end of her car-totalled- as it ran UNDER the truck--stock height. My truck's frame now has a slight kink where the hitch bracket attaches, approximately 1/4". I like full frames. A lot.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Glad you're okay!
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Flintlock Tom wrote:Glad you're okay!
Thanks, Tom! It was quite a jolt; this was the first full-on collision I've ever been in. Our local body shop is going to evaluate the (minor) damage and give us an estimate to compare with the findings of the "other" insurance company. The other car was seriously' if not totally' damaged. All of us were belted in, and her crash-bags did their job. The field office of the Missouri State Troopers was less than a half-mile away so they responded within a few minutes, and the ambulance followed about five minutes later.

It was more excitement than we needed.

And, thanks to our Guncounter friends for their well wishes. :)
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Glad you are good!

I was ass-ended in my 08 Grand Cherokee a few years back. The class 3 hitch and ball cleaved the front end of the idiot-texting-yute's Jap box like a hatchet through hot butter. But the instant 40 -0 MPH deceleration wasn't kind to my body.

I suffered a herniated disc in the neck that plagues me to this day. Due to NJ's Verbal Threshold law (which was supposedly enacted to cut down on frivolous lawsuits), I was denied judgement for permanent damage. They paid for my treatment plus a measly 8K to settle... and I had a good lawyer. All the other barristers I contacted told me they could not get me any reimbursement. I've since changed my insurance levels.
Malthorn

Post by Malthorn »

You guys realize that the Honda preformed exactly as it was designed. 30 years ago a lot more energy would have been transfered to the occupants of both cars.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

One more reason to GTFO of Jersey.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.