Burgled in Fort Worth

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
PawPaw

Burgled in Fort Worth

Post by PawPaw »

My lady and I traveled to Fort Worth this past weekend, to attend a Cowboy Fast Draw match at the stockyards there. We had a wonderful time, met a lot of good people, shot wax bullets at targets and generally enjoyed ourselves.

Friday night at the hotel, our vehicle was burglarized. The burglar got in the vehicle and made off with our GPS and my wife's door-pocket gun. Of course, we called the police department, of course they sent out an officer, and I've followed up with phone calls this morning to give them the serial number of the revolver. I have every confidence that the Fort Worth PD will be diligent in their efforts, although I don't have much confidence that we'll ever see that little handgun again.

It's a Colt Pocket Positive, chromed like a Chevy bumper, and she really loved that little gun. We have no clue how the burglars got into the vehicle. As we got out of the vehicle on Friday night, I locked it with the button fob, and my wife and I distinctly remember hearing the horn beep. When we came out Saturday morning, toting competition bags, I opened the car with the fob, and we didn't notice the GPS missing until we were at the restaurant. I thought it had fallen off the windshield, and at the restaurant for breakfast we looked for it. We later noticed the handgun missing, and called the police.

It is certainly not the fault of the hotel, nor the association. Otherwise it was a wonderful weekend, full of great people, great competition, in a great venue. Met lots of old friends and lots of new ones. But, losing that handgun put a supreme bummer on the weekend.

When a country boy comes to town, he needs to take extra precautions. I had gotten complacent over the years and didn't think anyone would break into my vehicle over a GPS. Boy, was I wrong. When he got in for the GPS, he saw the pistol in the door pocket, snatched it, and was gone.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Denis

Re: Burgled in Fort Worth

Post by Denis »

Ah, bugger! Sorry to hear that. Hope the goblin shoots itself in the foot.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

If it can happen to a cop with your experience, it can happen to any of us. Here's to good insurance and I also hope that crook shoots himself.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I hope he shoots another CROOK. If then caught it's a two-fer and you might eventually get the gun back, with some additional history for it!
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Sorry to read about you and your lady's loss.

Any residual sign of entry? I've heard about thieves recording/sniffing vehicle alarm signatures and then opening the vehicle when nobody is around, though I've never seen it being done.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Rod

Post by Rod »

I was robbed in Fort Worth at gunpoint. I was unarmed at the time because I had had two beers. This happened in the hotel parking lot. I wrote a letter to the chief of the Fort Worth Police Department because the officer arrived promptly, listened to my story, joked with me a little, and was very professional. PawPaw, you forgot you were in the big, bad city there.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Sorry to hear about that. I was super hella pissed when my truck was burgled in Atlanta.

It did change my mindset a lot. I also got all of my windows tinted and usually use a windshield solar shade. It helps to hide the goodies in the truck.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Sorry to hear of your loss!!! :x Have you contacted your insurance to see if the loss is within your deductible or if the handgun loss is fully covered? After all, in CA, the theft of ANY firearm is a felony, and I suspect where you were it is too (although insurance folks don't usually care about the category of the crime, only if its covered or not).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
evan price

Post by evan price »

Unless your car has an alarm, locking it is really only good for keeping out the low-effort thieves.
Back when I drove a wrecker there were very few that I couldn't unlock in under sixty seconds with the tools on my truck and that included writing the ticket.

We host the American Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus annually. This brings many well heeled country folks in $60K duallys with $40K horse trailers to the hotels around the fairgrounds, which is as always in most cities, in a sh*tty part of town.

I had to have a windshield replaced in Mrs. Price's truck last year at the same time as the AQHC, and the glass shop (Safelite) was standing room only with customers from a recent spate of smash-and-grab auto burglars that were going around all the hotels in the area and specifically targeting the AQHC vehicles (There's a big sticker/disc thing that goes on the windshield that is your annual permit) for visits. MO was- see shiny expensive AQHC truck- grab rock or brick from nearby hardscape- break window- grab what is grabbable- run away- in and out in 30 seconds. Alarms scared them off but only if there wasn't something grabbable instantly. One older fella said he saw the thief break the passenger's window in their van, the alarm went off, the thief grabbed his wife's purse off the seat and ran into a waiting car while the alarm went off.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Denis

Post by Denis »

Stable doors, post-horse, for the locking of...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... pistol+box

I have a similar item. It's cheap and nasty, but fits discreetly under the car seat, and will certainly hinder an opportunistic smash and grab thief who doesn't happen to carry cable cutters.