So, I just won powerball (no not really)

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
BDK

Re: So, I just won powerball (no not really)

Post by BDK »

Immigration would be based on a successful interview process, and annual revaluations.

While their property rights should be respected, and compensated if required, they would have no right to maintain residence until 3 generations have passed - or serving with distinction in combat/some other meritorious achievement.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

BDK wrote:Immigration would be based on a successful interview process, and annual revaluations.

While their property rights should be respected, and compensated if required, they would have no right to maintain residence until 3 generations have passed - or serving with distinction in combat/some other meritorious achievement.
That serves no useful purpose but to push any bad behavior down the line, if even that far. Put people that kind of precarious situation and they'll quickly learn clever ways to "game" the system.

Besides, if you have no right to residence on your own property, then the concept of "property rights" is a mockery.

Try to build these clever, technocratic systems, and you just end up with a cleverer technocrat. It's not the solution.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
kapikui

Post by kapikui »

Dub_James wrote: There are days when I think only an AI can run a durable system...
I've long thought that a good source of random numbers would do a better job than what we've got now.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Eh, its a 3500 acre island - it will never be very large society. The real problem w. any society, is what to do with the "dregs" of society? In that small an environment, you can't tolerate people who aren't committed to your culture.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:We also bought self determination rights from the country of Panama, effectively we are a separate federal district with the ability to make our own laws (with some few exceptions)
That lasts about until some Federale decides you have money, and he needs a cushy retirement. Look what happened to John McAfee..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Precision wrote:We also bought self determination rights from the country of Panama, effectively we are a separate federal district with the ability to make our own laws (with some few exceptions)
That lasts about until some Federale decides you have money, and he needs a cushy retirement. Look what happened to John McAfee..
I was going to mention that. I believe Kratman's take on setting up shop in even one of the better undeveloped nations is to bring a battalion of infantry with you, or equivalent (like marrying into a local clan, etc).
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

It's fine if you basically want to create a little haven from which to tell the world to pound sand and are okay with the whole package falling apart when you die. But if you want to actually start a nation, you're gonna need a bigger island and a whole lot of colonists. Somewhere with plenty of resources, and something to build an economy on.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:It's fine if you basically want to create a little haven from which to tell the world to pound sand and are okay with the whole package falling apart when you die. But if you want to actually start a nation, you're gonna need a bigger island and a whole lot of colonists. Somewhere with plenty of resources, and something to build an economy on.
Madagascar. Ridiculously good (as in strategic, and access to raw materials of all kinds) location. Good spot for a regional industrial and trading power.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BDK

Post by BDK »

I would think more "serious" money would be interested in trying to set up stuff in either Madagascar, or Ethiopia.

Given what Singapore has been able to achieve, I think it could be promising. I realize Dubai wanted to do the same thing, but Arab culture is just too volatile. (I think African culture might be broken enough for there to be a chance of success/I don't know that Ethiopia is as broken as the rest of Africa.))
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote: Madagascar. Ridiculously good (as in strategic, and access to raw materials of all kinds) location. Good spot for a regional industrial and trading power.
Considering that some of the past shenanigans that have gone on with Madagascar, that may not be such a great idea. However, since the coup in 2009 and the free elections this last year, they may finally be getting a decent government not run by kleptocratic dictators..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt