"Uh... dude... look at your tire"

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
TheArmsman

Re: "Uh... dude... look at your tire"

Post by TheArmsman »

Lordy, did not know a bulge could be that big and not blow.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Looks like you're running tubes, which might have helped delay the blowout. (It looks like a tube, or the valve stem is awfully loose in that hole.)
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Is your new career creating unlikely failure modes ?

I've never seen anything like that before now...
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Wow. I've never seen one that big on a heavy duty tire.

I used to get them all the time thanks to NJ potholes. But those tires were 35 or 40 profile passenger car tires. Never had one on any of my work trucks.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Do you generate some kind of anomalous probability field or something?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Yeah... that's pretty bad actually...
Ya, maybe that could also be a good thing, meaning that it it held up long enough to be caught before blowing out. I tow 75%-80% of the time and I buy a set every year. What we expect from a rubber tire over the course of that many miles might be a bit optimistic in the long run. I have a set on now that is balder than I am and I am just milking them until Dodge ponies up the recall tie rods so I can get it aligned again. Karma is a bitch and she has puppies...
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It happens, although I only saw one or two Goodyears do that in all the time we had the tire shop (and we sold exclusively Goodyear). Definitely bad, definitely replace it before driving, period. However, the potential for a catastrophic blowout is overstated. What you've got there is damage (or defect) letting air slowly leak past the inner liner, through the carcass, and between the carcass and the outer layers of rubber. The flaw allowing this to happen is probably tiny; if it was big enough presently to cause a blowout, then it would have already blown out. The real danger is that the tire is probably losing air regardless (or will start to shortly), and driving on an underinflated tire can cause it to deconstruct, rapidly (not the same as a true blowout, which is almost unheard of with modern tires). It's entirely likely that the observed bulge was caused that way in the first place. If it was, the internal damage will be obvious as soon as the tire is dismounted.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, if the sidewall was shredded internally, and the internal cords were visible, you ran it low. That's a LOT more common that some defect letting air past the carcass into the sidewall. Usually manifests itself on the outside in more than the one location, though.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

When I was a tire tech, these sorts of things were always caused by some trauma to the tire itself- curbing, running over a rock, etc.

I always stuck a knife in the bubble after demounting it so nobody got the bright idea of trying to mount it again. There were always people rummaging in the tire casing piles at night and stealing anything with tread on it still, and the truck tires were the most popular.

This happens more often than you care to think about, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

evan price wrote:When I was a tire tech, these sorts of things were always caused by some trauma to the tire itself- curbing, running over a rock, etc.
I seem to remember one brand new winter tire showing up that way from GY. It was one of the very few I saw that wasn't caused by user-inflicted damage. Usually the initial damage wasn't fatal, but the underinflation almost always was.
I always stuck a knife in the bubble after demounting it so nobody got the bright idea of trying to mount it again. There were always people rummaging in the tire casing piles at night and stealing anything with tread on it still, and the truck tires were the most popular.
We used to cut a chunk out for that purpose, and so that water would drain while they awaited disposal.
This happens more often than you care to think about, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY
Words are not sufficient...