Yamaha Serow 225 dual sport

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Highspeed

Yamaha Serow 225 dual sport

Post by Highspeed »

Anyone owned\have experience of one of these ?

They were never officially imported to the UK - US and Japanese market bike.

I've done the obvious internet search and they have a pretty good reputation. I'm going to look at one with a view to buying it tomorrow. The attraction is that it's cheap and also street legal here, unlike my Suzuki DR350 enduro.

I was a bike mechanic, so I know what to look out for, but I just wondered if anyone has any impressions of what they are like ?

I think it'll suit me better than the DR, I only do easy trail riding. On road I'll maybe only ride it for 20km at a stretch maximum, just to cover the highways that link the trails together.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Bullspit

Re: Yamaha Serow 225 dual sport

Post by Bullspit »

They are decent bikes for what they are. The engines are very reliable and very simple. They are not bullet proof, but they aren't tuned to the edge of destruction so if you keep the oil changed and adjust the valves they run pretty dependably. Some years of some Yamahas had problematic CDI's. This is mostly an issues in some models from the 80's.

I considered one of these when I was looking but decided to go with the TW200 because I liked the bigger wheels. I could have been happy with the Searow.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

CByrneIV wrote:
Bullspit wrote:
I considered one of these when I was looking but decided to go with the TW200 because I liked the bigger wheels. I could have been happy with the Searow.
http://www.reviewoutlaw.com/yamaha-xt25 ... -compared/
Good comparison. In actual riding the Searow (I was looking at one that was the older 225cc model) is quicker than the TW 200 and handles rougher roads at speed better than the TW 200.

The TW 200 is more stable at lower speeds and with the back tire running at 15PSI is tractor-like.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Assuming it hasn't got any major defect then I think we'll buy it.

The asking price is maybe half what it's potentially worth and I could really use something with a lower seat height. I'm tall enough at 5'11" for most bikes but I've got limited articulation in my right hip and bad knees, so getting on and off a dirtbike can be a pain, literally.
Do my dog house song
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Bought it, going round to pick it up at the weekend. It's in better than average condition, engines very sweet.

I didn't haggle, he wanted 600 EU and it's worth 1200 EU even on a really bad day.
Do my dog house song
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

Enjoy it! What year was it made?
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

It's likely a '92\93 - difficult to say with complete certainty as it's been re-registered twice now in different countries since it left Japan.

I found a site with model information and specs listed by frame number and either the site is slightly wrong or ( more likely )
it was modded in Japan before it was exported because it's been retrofitted with a back up kickstart and adjustable suspension. The Japs do love customising their bikes...

Today I have been getting the Suzuki DR 350 in shape, or trying to. Someone did the 'airbox mod' to it, fitted a free flow exhaust and rejetted the carb. On the road ( highway ) it's fine but at very low speeds it kind of surges a little. You only notice when trying to ride for any distance at walking pace, which is something you have to do when exploring here.
It's a lot better now, but not perfect. I think I'll just learn to live with it.
Do my dog house song
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Took a short ride on the Serow this morning.

I really like it. It's a friendly little beastie. I can see why they are used for rider training. The engine is quite enthusiastic and free revving even if it doesn't have much power. Brakes are great given it's not very fast, and it handles fine.
Had a bit of a culture shock trying to start it, I forgot that bikes usually have an ignition key :lol: ...the DR350 has no speedo, warning lights, key, nothing.

Should make a good stealth bike as well, meaning it doesn't look like something a hooligan rides and therefore attracts cops. The DR350 is very loud and by it's appearance invites the question " is this motorycle street legal ? " - which it isn't
Do my dog house song
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I'll continue this, although no-one seems very interested :D

Second ride :- Pushed it home. That was fun in 95 degree heat. Luckily I had broken all my own safety rules and was wearing engineer boots instead of moto-x boots ( which are impossible to walk in ) and no shirt or helmet. Leaking petrol tap had left me with just a carburettor bowl of fuel. Petrol tap now fixed with new O-ring.

Third ride :- Starting to ride fast on a dirt\gravel road. Holy flurking shnit, it handles terribly, no grip at all - borderline scary.
It's not friendly any more, it wants to throw me off. The "badass" DR350 enduro is a pussycat compared to this.
Front end is way too soft and the the back is too hard. Checked the tyre pressures when I got home. 30 Psi in both tyres instead of 18-22. It's fine on what you guys would call 'pavement' but awful on loose surfaces. Easy fix though, suspension is adjustable. The " Twinduro" ( what a stupid name ) brand tyres aren't so good, I've got some dirt tyres that should fit but I'll have to leave that until it's passed it's vehicle inspection.
Do my dog house song
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

If you're going to drive it fast, tech it thoroughly - which you probably know.

( I came very close to eating it last year, because I forgot to check the tires on a sports car which had been sitting for 6 months)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto