North Dakota

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Weetabix

Re: North Dakota

Post by Weetabix »

Who are you looking for and what are you trying to find out. I contract work (through another office) with people in ND and I do some work for people in ND. Mostly real estate inspectors and housing contractor types, and I've never checked to see where they are in relation to Bakken.

Anyway, depending on what you're looking for, I might be able to get you in touch with someone.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Rumpshot wrote:Several questions I can answer.

RV's do okay as long as they are properly insulated. Straw bales stacked against plywood skirts and a small source of heat underneath. Other than that they are not suitable for use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Williston, which is in the middle of the Bakken, has terrible food service. The help bails to go work the rigs and drive truck. Better pay. Appleby's and fast food locations close the doors at 9 PM! There are places to eat, but they cannot keep them staffed to offer "normal" hours of service.

Precision, I think you have my email. My SIL passed away in April, the estate has her condo (2 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage) in downtown Williston. It may be available for reasonable rent or will be up for sale about Aug or Sept.

If you are serious about work, let me know ETA. I have friends and family in the area.

The biggest thing they are looking for is some maturity and reliability. Too much going on for the "kids" out there, bars and prostitution abound. Lots of ways to part the fool and his money...
Too true. One of my subs is paying Davis-Bacon wages (about $23/hr) and can't keep his laborers showing up.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Precision wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:A food truck might be a gold mine out there.

Yeah, I thought of that. To do that, I would want backers and set up a fleet of said trucks to ply the work zones.
The question would be cut rate food to do high volume or good / great quality comfort food and take a hair longer to gain market, and make less volume.

It might be an idea, but one I would definitely need to investigate and get to know the lay of the land, first.
Ask around, at least in Eagleford Shale, oil companies are contracting with cooks to operate trucks to service the field.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Precision

Post by Precision »

Rumpshot wrote:Several questions I can answer.

RV's do okay as long as they are properly insulated. Straw bales stacked against plywood skirts and a small source of heat underneath. Other than that they are not suitable for use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Williston, which is in the middle of the Bakken, has terrible food service. The help bails to go work the rigs and drive truck. Better pay. Appleby's and fast food locations close the doors at 9 PM! There are places to eat, but they cannot keep them staffed to offer "normal" hours of service.

Precision, I think you have my email. My SIL passed away in April, the estate has her condo (2 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage) in downtown Williston. It may be available for reasonable rent or will be up for sale about Aug or Sept.

If you are serious about work, let me know ETA. I have friends and family in the area.

The biggest thing they are looking for is some maturity and reliability. Too much going on for the "kids" out there, bars and prostitution abound. Lots of ways to part the fool and his money...
Thank you.
That might be a godsend. We are looking to leave here asap. But aren't willing to go with NEITHER of us having an income.
I probably do have your email but I lost most of my contact connections to the emails in my 2 computer moves. I will look. If I can't find it / figure it out, I will get back to you on here. Thank you.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Precision

Post by Precision »

Rumpshot wrote:

How exactly does one convey maturity and reliability on a cover letter / resume that is dropped into a black hole with the other 3000 and is sorted by a computer.
I have those qualities in spades, just no way to convey them.
Bars and hookers have no interest, not a fool and doing this to build up money to replace that of the cancer fight, etc.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

Aglifter wrote:
Precision wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:A food truck might be a gold mine out there.

Yeah, I thought of that. To do that, I would want backers and set up a fleet of said trucks to ply the work zones.
The question would be cut rate food to do high volume or good / great quality comfort food and take a hair longer to gain market, and make less volume.

It might be an idea, but one I would definitely need to investigate and get to know the lay of the land, first.
Ask around, at least in Eagleford Shale, oil companies are contracting with cooks to operate trucks to service the field.
Will definitely have to check that out.
running a truck as a way to get several trucks running and have some people from here go up there with me. Not a bad idea. Could work.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Weetabix wrote:Who are you looking for and what are you trying to find out. I contract work (through another office) with people in ND and I do some work for people in ND. Mostly real estate inspectors and housing contractor types, and I've never checked to see where they are in relation to Bakken.

Anyway, depending on what you're looking for, I might be able to get you in touch with someone.
Thanks.

I am looking for a job that gains me entrance to the oil industry because I believe my maturity, work ethic and reliability will move me up from the entrance point fairly quickly. Then I will take OJT, classes whatever it takes to me the real money.

Or start my own gig and sell shovels instead of digging for the gold. For us, it really is about making money to recoup while we still can work like dogs, so we don't have to when we can't.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Termite wrote:
Precision wrote:$800 per month for a RV hook up site is the going rate.
I wonder just how well a typical RV survives a winter in the Dakotas.
Yeah, but if you already have a site, and they allow you to prep it for winter, you might do okay without too much distress (providing nothing breaks in your electrical system). Living out of an RV (with an extra vehicle) can still be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than trying to live in an apartment or condo (or even house, if you can find one available for a "REASONABLE PRICE", and in decent shape - that wasn't a previous foreclosure). Even if you have to sell the RV, in THAT AREA, chances are it'll get snapped up in a heart-beat (especially if you're bringing it in from outside and hasn't been abused yet).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

RV mancamps are falling out of favor in the area. The "company" town concept is back with huge dormitory type structures. The mancamps were a sanitation disaster.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

North Dakota winters aren't just cold and windy. They're Little House on the Prairie cold. Stuffing straw in the wall cracks cold. The state tree is a telephone pole and the state flower is a satellite TV dish.

(sort of like ND is to cold as Dubai is to hot).

That said, if'n you can get there in an RV in time to winterize and buffer with bales and drape the roof with tarps and tires... it's an adventure! I'd envy you the times you'll have.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story