Sous Vide Cooking at Home

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
blackeagle603

Re: Sous Vide Cooking at Home

Post by blackeagle603 »

hmmm, sous vide fish. :ugeek:

there's a thought. I may have just hit my tipping point...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

That seems like a terrible waste of bourbon...

This was the first time I had an exceptional poached egg - it was at a Moroccan place in Brooklyn - as my life moves even farther toward being a vagabond (but the women in this town... Egads, a bit of charm, grace, and comfortably masculine style goes an awful long way...)

But, back to eggs - otherwise my experience has been the usual Benedict variety - although I prefer mine w crab cakes than English muffins.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Ya done good till ya got to the brussels sprouts part. I have had them several ways and still consider them to contain the flavor of an entire head of cabbage condensed down into one nasty little bite.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I would have agreed with you on the Brussel sprouts until I started roasting them. Cut in half, dredge in bacon grease with a good dose of minced garlic and sea salt, onto a tray for 20 minutes and 350F and wowza.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:I would have agreed with you on the Brussel sprouts until I started roasting them. Cut in half, dredge in bacon grease with a good dose of minced garlic and sea salt, onto a tray for 20 minutes and 350F and wowza.
Sauteed cabbage, with just a little salt, is also remarkably good. Friend of mine does that as one of his signature appetizers/sides.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Aglifter wrote:I had some phenomenal poached eggs this morning - and while I realize poached eggs are "kinda" always this method I suspect they used a system like this.
One of my FB friends posted this the other morning, which looks absolutely DELICIOUS, and I believe it also contains "Poached Eggs" - but it CERTAINLY DOESN'T MEAN the ONLY thing it contains is POACHED EGGS (perhaps this is a low-fat, low cholesterol, low sodium meal) - even so, I'd eat it in a HEART-BEAT!!!!

POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Because of this thread I now want to make some Eggs Benedict for myself tomorrow. I'm not sure about this Hollandaise sauce though. It looks like allot of effort to put more eggs on eggs.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Re: Poached eggs.

Google "Whirlpool eggs", also try to add a bit of vinegar to the water. It seems to help the flavor.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

Kommander wrote:I'm not sure about this Hollandaise sauce though. It looks like allot of effort to put more eggs on eggs.
I like my eggs Benedict "florentine" (with wilted baby spinach).

The hollandaise is essential - not because it's more eggs on your eggs, but because it's a sneaky way of putting a giant dollop of butter on your meal and pretending it's a sauce.

Reminds me that it's still white asparagus season here: asparagus, hollandaise, steamed baby potatoes and slices of glazed ham off the bone. Boil the asparagus peelings in the cooking water, add cream, salt and pepper and you have cream of asparagus soup!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

So is the vacuum pack bag essential for safety? Or is adequate to manual expel enough air from a ziplock to keep stuff from floating and ensure good heat transfer?