City dwelling hipsters prove they are idiots.............

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Termite

City dwelling hipsters prove they are idiots.............

Post by Termite »

Despite visions of quaint coops, happy birds and cheap eggs, the growing trend of raising backyard chickens in urban settings is backfiring, critics say, as disillusioned city dwellers dump unwanted fowl on animal shelters and sanctuaries.

Hundreds of chickens, sometimes dozens at a time, are being abandoned each year at the nation’s shelters from California to New York as some hipster farmers discover that hens lay eggs for two years, but can live for a good decade longer, and that actually raising the birds can be noisy, messy, labor-intensive and expensive.

“Many areas with legalized hen-keeping are experiencing more and more of these birds coming in when they’re no longer wanted,” said Paul Shapiro, spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States. “You get some chicks and they’re very cute, but it’s not as though you can throw them out in the yard and not care for them........"
Linky

The money quote:
“People don’t know what they’re doing,” Britton Clouse said. “And you’ve got this whole culture of people who don’t know what the hell they’re doing teaching every other idiot out there.”
Well, shit-for-brains, they could try eating them. Just need a good roux, bell pepper/onion/garlic, and smoked sausage.. :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Rich Jordan

Re: City dwelling hipsters prove they are idiots............

Post by Rich Jordan »

Termite wrote:Well, shit-for-brains, they could try eating them. Just need a good roux, bell pepper/onion/garlic, and smoked sausage.. :lol:
But... but... you'd have to _kill_ them. It would be bloody and icky, and they would _look_ at you like they were begging you _not_ to... they want to live too! So uncool.

;)
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

My folks just got laying hens. They're not comfortable with killing them when they're done laying, but I think they'll get there. If not, I'll do it when I'm home. Everyone loves soup.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Termite wrote:Well, shit-for-brains, they could try eating them. Just need a good roux, bell pepper/onion/garlic, and smoked sausage.. :lol:
I'm not keen on bell peppers, but I do a mean "coq au vin"...
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Put them in touch with Ms. !Ludite. She needs to replace one that was gotten at by an as yet unidentified predator. Whatever it was also got one of her peahens, but I'm pretty sure no hipster urban wannabe farmer would have one of those. On a related note, any suggestions as to an airgun that can take down a 'yote with a well placed shot? :evil:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Multiple redundancy alert in your thread title. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

When I was a kid, we raised chickens, but never for eggs. Dad would get a bunch of peepers and six weeks later, it was neck-wringing time. Powerful imagery there. Especially, when I'd do something bone-headed and Dad would say, "Boy, if you do that again I'm going to wring your damned neck." He never did, obviously, but I never wanted to push the envelope.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Cybrludite wrote:Put them in touch with Ms. !Ludite. She needs to replace one that was gotten at by an as yet unidentified predator. Whatever it was also got one of her peahens, but I'm pretty sure no hipster urban wannabe farmer would have one of those. On a related note, any suggestions as to an airgun that can take down a 'yote with a well placed shot? :evil:
Airgun for yote? Try a .25 Benjamin Maurader.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Cybrludite wrote:Put them in touch with Ms. !Ludite. She needs to replace one that was gotten at by an as yet unidentified predator. Whatever it was also got one of her peahens, but I'm pretty sure no hipster urban wannabe farmer would have one of those. On a related note, any suggestions as to an airgun that can take down a 'yote with a well placed shot? :evil:
I'd use a well placed .22 CB over an airgun but that's jut me. By the time you get up to the 1000 FPS air rifles, you're getting more noise anyhow.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

True, but with the airgun, he has no difficulty finding ammunition at the moment.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"