WTF am I doing?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
gromulin

WTF am I doing?

Post by gromulin »

Hey all. Long time reader and lurker around here. I actually go all the way back to the Gunthing days, but went dark for a couple years when the kids were toddlers, and got wiped from the DB. Don't post much, but y'all seem like okay folks. And it's 12:59AM and I'm wide awake.

I'm waiting to find out this week if I'll be voluntarily leaving a company I've been with for 24 years to take a job that pays OK (for CA) but will let me finish out my career without the stress of my income fluctuating wildly, and being at the mercy of the construction whims of California. Basically going from being a contractor (IT / Comm infrastructure) to working for an Owner. The new gig would be with a major private University in the SF Bay Area. I was recruited, and would be working directly for a long time friend. We grew up in Contracting together.

I'd have to sell our house and move back to the Bay. We might just break even selling the house. Wife works from home. Two kids still in grade school. Can't even think of buying, would be lucky to find a house 3/4 the size of current to rent in a "good" school area with a reasonable commute for me. And I'd pretty much have to have it all done in time for kids to start school in August.

I've worked for the same guy for almost 25 years, in contracting. I'm the most senior guy in the company, but I know I'll NEVER have an equity stake. Even with a long leash and a loose collar, it still gets down to "what have you done for me lately?" And lately, finding profitable jobs to sell is rough business, and I don't see it getting any better. I've been in the business since 1985.

I haven't been the FNG since Bush 41 was in office. I told myself I'd never move back to the Bay. But, the big Five-0 is breathing down my neck, and I need to have a stable gig for the next 15-20 years. Also, I'm f'n sick of the Valley heat. May through October is an exercise in moving from one air-conditioned space to the next.

Dafuq is wrong with me? I wake up every morning in a panic, and have to talk myself down. I know it's the right move, but it scares the living daylights out of me.
A good Ringmaster keeps the lions from eating the clowns.

A really good Ringmaster knows when to let the lions eat the clowns.
Weetabix

Re: WTF am I doing?

Post by Weetabix »

I've coordinated with university types on projects. I was in the private consulting sector. It sounds like a great place to be. They all liked it and wouldn't go back. There are internal politics to deal with, but if you can deal with those or avoid them you're golden.

Several of the guys at two universities were great, laid back guys. I'd think if you know the move is right for you, you just fear change. Moderation is for monks; take large bites of life.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I was a project representative for Michigan State for 5 years, both while attending classes and as a contract employee afterwards. There has been no time in my life, no job I've ever held, that made me happier than this one. I truly loved the people I was working with and felt like I had a real home. Unfortunately, budget cuts and a crappy economy meant it simply wasn't possible to hire me permanently. I had just renewed my second, and final, contract when I got an offer from Uncle Sugar. I'd be making somewhat less than I am now and significantly less than I will be in the next few years, but I sure would have been happy to stay.
free_me

Post by free_me »

Weetabix wrote:I'd think if you know the move is right for you, you just fear change. Moderation is for monks; take large bites of life.
Amen brother Weetabix.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Oh man I feel ya. That's a real quandry... The Bay area though? Ouch. Wonder if you'd be trading old stresses for new city living stresses: city schools/regional lifestyle costs/commuting, yadda yadda.

Any options looking east toward higher and cooler? Construction or other industry in Tahoe/eastern Sierra resort areas any good for you?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
gromulin

Post by gromulin »

blackeagle603 wrote:Any options looking east toward higher and cooler? Construction or other industry in Tahoe/eastern Sierra resort areas any good for you?
Yeah, that would be nice. I have to get out of Contracting. It's all about chasing the dollar down to the bottom in this economy. Whomever leaves the most out of their bid wins.

The one thing I know is that the best way for me to wind out my career is just moving to the other side of the table. I'm the last guy I want to negotiate a big job with :D I know my trade and tech well. I've pulled all the tricks in the book, and maybe invented some new ones, so it will be tough to slide a change order by me...

But the fargin Bay....Arrrgh.
A good Ringmaster keeps the lions from eating the clowns.

A really good Ringmaster knows when to let the lions eat the clowns.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Any options north of the Bay for you? That would at least give option of living up towards Travis/Marin/Napa?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Weetabix wrote: Moderation is for monks; take large bites of life.
I have a new quote. Credit will be given.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:
I didn't originate that; not sure where it came from. Sounds Heinlein-ish, but I couldn't swear to it.

In Catholic HS, one of the brothers wrote a quote-of-the-day on the board each day. He's probably a big reason I like quotes. Anyway, he'd let us write one up there if we thought we had a good one. I put that one on the board in 1981 or 82, probably to test his patience as much as anything. He liked it. I miss Br. Bernardine.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Weetabix wrote:
skb12172 wrote:
I didn't originate that; not sure where it came from. Sounds Heinlein-ish, but I couldn't swear to it.
It's Heinlein. Here's the full quote:
“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop