Got pulled over...

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Netpackrat

Got pulled over...

Post by Netpackrat »

By an idiot on my way home tonight.... Nothing really exciting happened, my rear license plate and taillights are still filthy from my road trip a few days ago, so I just have to clean them off and go to the station this week to get the ticket cleared. But good grief, what a maroon. Handed him my CCW permit along with my license, and he asked what that was for. Told him that I'm required to inform him that I'm carrying my concealed handgun, and he said that doesn't inform him that I'm carrying anything other than a permit, and that I have to verbally inform him that I'm carrying a pistol. Of course, the law doesn't say anything like that, but whatever. He asks, and I tell him that it's in my center console. "Is it loaded?" "Yes." "Is there a round in the chamber?" "Yes." "You should never carry it with a round in the chamber." "Why not?" "For safety reasons." (yeah, okay whatever Skippy)

So by this point, I'm pretty well convinced that I'm not dealing with the sharpest stick in APD's woodpile. He asks me to pull it out of the console, muzzle first, and hand it to him, which I couldn't do because it is in a holster. Then he wants me to remove the holster, which I can't do, because it is permanently attached to the inside of the console. But he's apparently determined to have my pistol, so he finally just tells me to take it out and hand it to him, at which point he takes it, and my license, registration, and proof of insurance which I'd given him earlier, and disappears back in his cruiser. For a real long time. Long enough that I started munching on the tacos I had just bought a few minutes before, because they were starting to get cold.

Eventually, I found out what was taking him so long. He comes back, and says, "well I know about guns, but not this particular pistol" or something to that effect. Said he wanted to know where the slide release was so he could empty it. I asked if he was looking for the magazine release, and he said no, he had already gotten the magazine out, and he was looking for the slide release. I started to explain how and why the P3AT doesn't have a slide release, which didn't seem to help him any, and finally it dawned on me that he was really that stupid. I told him to grab the frame with one hand, and pull back the slide with the other hand to eject the round, just like any other pistol. And with that bit of instruction, he was finally able to finish unloading my pistol. Then he handed me all of my ammo, loose, because he'd apparently taken the time to unload the magazine, and gave me my pistol back with instructions to put it back in my console (which happened to also contain my spare, loaded magazine... Duh).

Anyway, I'm posting this in the hopes that somebody at APD will read it, and wonder who the retard was.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Re: Got pulled over...

Post by Termite »

ROTFLMAO. :lol:

Thanks for a morning laugh, 'Net. :D
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Denis

Post by Denis »

LOL, NPR.

I was sure you were going to say he went away for a long time with your pistol, and then... "boom", and I still can't decide whether that would have been funny or catastrophic.

You have my sympathy - I travelled by air with some cased firearms at the weekend, and I had to explain to the inspecting police officer (i) the difference between bullets (allowed in the case) and loaded cartridges (not) and (ii) how, when the bolt of a rifle is already separated from that rifle, there is nothing further left to "open".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Open letter to your council member, police chief and union in the ADN?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

blackeagle603 wrote:Open letter to your council member, police chief and union in the ADN?
Seriously +1. Or even an off the record word in the right ear.

This clown is going to get himself or someone else killed if he doesn't get some basic firearms safety training and remedial LE procedure training.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:This clown is going to get himself or someone else killed if he doesn't get some basic firearms safety training and remedial LE procedure training.
I'm not going to bother with the ADN, but when I go in to get my lights checked, I might ask to speak with a supervisor privately afterward. Not being familiar with all pistols is one thing, but not being able to unload one of the simplest pistols in existence is just sheer incompetence. I don't expect police to be shooting enthusiasts, but it's one of the tools of his trade, for crying out loud. It would be like me, not being able to use a screwdriver or a ratchet.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Erik

Post by Erik »

Netpackrat wrote:Not being familiar with all pistols is one thing, but not being able to unload one of the simplest pistols in existence is just sheer incompetence. I don't expect police to be shooting enthusiasts, but it's one of the tools of his trade, for crying out loud. It would be like me, not being able to use a screwdriver or a ratchet.
I'd say it's worse than that. Not only was he not able to unload a gun, but he actually took possession of a gun he could not handle and then proceeded to try and unload it, without knowing how to do so safely. I don't think that's just being incompetent, I think that's being a danger to anyone within range.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Precision

Post by Precision »

so I have a couple of questions.

In Alaska are you forced by law to allow the police to disarm you "for their safety?'

Once genius boy had possession of the weapon, why (other than stupidity) did he see a need to unload it? More handling means more chance for ND, especially when you have NO CLUE in your whole head.

If genius boy had accidentally shot himself while attempting to unload NPR's gun what if any liability is there for NPR?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

AS 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to
(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or
(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;

JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

So, did he mean slide lock, so he could figure out how to lock it open, or did he think it was locked, similar to a 1911 or BHP with the safety on?

Or did he just have the finger strength of a middle school girl and couldn't pull the slide back?