accessorize me

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Greg

accessorize me

Post by Greg »

This has probably all been talked about before, I just can't find anything.

Anyway, I just picked up my first shotgun. Remington 870 Express Synthetic (order # 25077), 18" barrel and 2 shot mag extension. Funny thing is, I had to special order it and wait- the gun shops I tried have got *nothing* in stock (first thing I tried to order was an 870P, the shop person more or less laughed at me, those are just not obtainable).

It already has the short forend, which is nice. So recommend me brands of sidesaddle (I intend to put on a 6-rounder), slings and lighted forends (I'll consider it, but we get so much artificial light I really don't expect to need it).

Also, does anyone recommend a particular brand of #4 buck, which is the ammo choice I'm leaning toward as I live in an apartment.

Sigh, when I finally get a chance to take it to a range I'll post a report. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: accessorize me

Post by Combat Controller »

For the car guns I have side saddles as I want to be able to bug out with buck and bird in one package. I use Uncle Mikes and Shooters Pride and they are identical. Some of the only Uncle Mike stuff that actually works.

For a light grab a Cheaper Than Dirt shotgun light mount or attachable rail and go to town with a $16 maxfire. It will survive the recoil for years.
That way you are out no more than $50 and you have the basics. If you are feeling fancy and don't mind permanently affixing stuff to a gun you may want to lighten for other duty then there are good mounts and lighted forends, but you will spend more than the gun if you go whole hog.

As for slings, check to make sure the stock has a sling point. I have never found one on 5 different 870's that were out of the box. You will need a sling that goes over the butt. If you use the cheap slip on buttcuff, mount the sling first. Feeling tactical? Get a Blackhawk three point, it comes with all the hardware for both rear tapped sling mounts and plain stocked ones. Shotgun as well as AR, etc.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Here are a couple of pics of some of my rigs.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hey thanks for the help, I'll keep the cheap light mount option in mind.

Today I was really demoralized at work (they had me doing things like explaining to a user why he couldn't su to an account that had /bin/false as its shell. Idiots.) so I took some time I didn't have and went researching and shopping.

I picked up a Tacstar 6 shot sidesaddle, a Butler Creek sling (with swivels, my gun has mount holes for swivels, even one molded into the stock), a bunch of snap caps, cleaning supplies, and a selection of ammo. I picked up some 00 buck and a couple of rifled slugs, each of those in 'normal' and 'reduced recoil'. This is all new to me, and I want to try some things to get familiar. (My ammo selections were really limited, almost everything is on backorder. #4 buck will have to wait.)

I saw something that intrigued me. Does anyone have any opinions on the new Remington SureShot stock?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

I went whole hog and turned my 870 Express into an AR platform, and then took it all apart and sold the parts. Here's what I have now, and plan to keep it that way:

* Remington R3 Recoil Pad

* GG&G Right-Rear Sling Attachment

* GG&G Front Sling Attachment

* Brownell's Tactical Shotgun Light Mount
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix