good, accurate, inexpensive 7.62

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
cneeljr

good, accurate, inexpensive 7.62

Post by cneeljr »

I really want M1A, but $1600 or so is more than I want to pay. What is my best cheap option?
rightisright

Re: good, accurate, inexpensive 7.62

Post by rightisright »

Well, if you aren't married to a semi-auto, Savage bolt guns are very highly regarded. http://savagearms.com/11f.htm They can be found for under $500.

For a semi, you may want to consider a Saiga: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =109160981 or for a bit more cash, a BAR: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =109487403
cu74

Post by cu74 »

You can get an M1 Garand (the M1A before improvements) for about half that price through the CMP. You will have to shoot the slightly more "manly" .30-06 instead of 7.63 (.308), but they are both fun. There were .308 Garands built but their rarity puts them up in the M1A price range - if you "need" the 7.62 and "need" semi-auto, you're going to pay for it.

Some companies make AR-10 variants in .308, but I think the prices are pretty high. I don't know much about them - someone who knows will be along shortly ;) .
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
clyde621

Post by clyde621 »

I have been looking around and found the DPMS 308 for as low as $899. Even used are over $800. ;)
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Dittos on the Saiga if you're set on a semi-auto, but as NPR or someone pointed out in another thread, they're not as cheap as they used to be. A $300+ gun has become a $500 gun.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
AZMARK

Post by AZMARK »

Your best cheap option is going to be the Saiga. Next is taking your chances with the crack monkey's and getting a CETME or a FAL. Finally, you a have the various AR types and the M1's.

Good, accurate, inexpensive: pick two. :)
My favorite story of his ended with "...and so he went out the back door in his bathrobe, flipped the AK to 'Afrikaner', and started hosing the baboons off his tennis court." - Tam
cneeljr

Post by cneeljr »

Thanks for your ideas. I had forgotten about M1 Garand; down-loaded the forms, and will mail them tomorrow. Excellent idea!
cneeljr

Post by cneeljr »

Next question. Can the M1 be modified, at a reasonable price, to use a box magazine?
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

J&G just got some new CETMEs in. The previous batch of CETMEs made by CIA (Century) did not have that great of a reputation. If you got a good one they were supposed to be pretty damn good rifles for the price. However not all of them are good, and some were pretty bad. However these look to be better made than the older ones, and still at a really good price. One of the best reasons to go with a CETME/HKG3 or FAL is that the the mags are incredibly cheap. Where AK and AR mags are at about $15 right now where G3 mags are $3-$6 and FALS 10-15 for the basic ones.

If I was going to get a .308 rifle I would look at FALs. There are a few options here. Anything with a Imbel receiver should be good, even the CIA guns. For new made guns I would look at DSAs. Atlantic Firearms has bucketloads of FALS. Infact they have just about all the various .308 rifle options you could want and are supposed to be really good to buy from, both price and service wise. If I wanted a FAL right now I would probably get the basic DSA FAL from Atlantic Firearms.
cneeljr

Post by cneeljr »

Thanks for all the info.