Used shotguns, Rem 870s or Mossberg 500s

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
evan price

Re: Used shotguns, Rem 870s or Mossberg 500s

Post by evan price »

I would have no trouble about buying a used gun of any kind, including a shotgun, as long as I got to handle it and dry-check the function. You can tell a lot by just looking inside and working the action to get a feel for it. Full of dust bunnies and looks unshot? You got a closet queen. Painted in Krylon Camo and scraped up with a missing front site bead and a dented barrel? You got a truck gun.

Find the big gunstore near you that the cops shop at. The one with all the cruisers from all over the metro area parked out front. Odds are he's the guy who gets the LEO trade-ins and confiscations. There's often some pretty good stuff. The big one here literally gets shopping carts full of guns from the PDs around here regularly.

870's are OK, everybody has one it seems.
Mossberg M500 & M590 are also good. It's really a Ford VS Chevy debate.
I personally don't like tang safeties so I don't like the M500. Otherwise it's a great gun. Only problem I've seen with the Mossys is the fore-end rails spot weld breaks where it attaches to the carrier. You gotta really abuse it or run a whole lot of shells through for that to happen.

The Mossberg Maverick 88 is actually a really good deal, even new. It is 95% of a M500 at 75% of the price. The only difference worth noting is the fore-end. A M500 buttstock works, the fore-end does not. Also the Maverick gets the cross-bolt safety at the trigger guard which I personally prefer.
Don't forget the Winchester 1200/1300 too.

A good used 18.5" barrel pump 12-ga of a common brand should be $200 or less at most gun shops.

I have seen Mav88's new for $169. They are available in a 26" or 18.5" barrel. They are already tactical black polymer furniture so no worries about dinging up nice wood.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

eocoolj wrote:Is there some law in PA against pawning guns
I think there's only 16 Pawnbrokers in the entire state that deal in firearms. Compared to the nearly 3600 regular dealers(both stocking and "kitchen table"), they may be hard to find.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

workinwifdakids wrote:I vote for the 870, but wouldn't turn a 500 down at a great price.

If you want dirt cheap on a beater gun that works like a brick, try the H&R/NEF Pardner break-action in 12 gauge. You can get a used one for under $100, if you look hard.
They make a pretty decent pump version, too. I picked mine up new for <$180 a couple years ago, and it's been as reliable as a brick.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
randy

Post by randy »

Just throwing in my $0.02 worth. I agree with the consensus that either would fill your needs and you can't go wrong no matter which one you pickup.

I personally have a Mossberg 500 I purchased in the mid-80's and it's still going strong. Have used it extensively for Skeet, some Trap and Sporting Clays, and it's been on HD duty for most of that time as well.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".