Rifle or pistol? Which is better to start newbies with?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
SeekHer

Re: Rifle or pistol? Which is better to start newbies with?

Post by SeekHer »

I've also had some success with teaching some kids how to shoot and I've always started them on rifles usually rimfire but lately air...

mekender, what recoil on a rimfire while the recoil is pronounced and the noise of a fully charged air gun is louder, at ignition, then a .22 LR is...So pronounced that air gun scopes have to stand up to the recoil equivalent to big bore magnums/Nitro Express rounds so they are built differently, internally!

Why air? Firstly, because it makes then stay focused through follow through which is critical in air and not so in cartridge...Secondly, it can be fired indoors but the clincher is indoors of your own home...Thirdly, ammo cost is at least 1/3 less but good (not great) target quality guns are more expensive as is a compressor and a couple of S.C.U.B.A. tanks....

Rifle, rimfire, because I have one that I converted for my oldest daughter by taking 1" slabs off the butt of the rifle (keeping legal OAL in mind) that I had drilled two ¼" holes through, first, one just below the top and one just above the bottom that would go through all the slabs that I will cut...I then inserted a ¼" threaded female adaptor glued in place and had some long ¼" steel rods that I threaded on one end and had cut to various lengths, so that it would screw into the female in the stock...

When she (now they) were little, I would start with just the stock and butt plate and as they grew older, I'd screw in the first set of the two rods, slip on the next piece of the butt and mount the butt plate (friction fit) and would continue changing the length of the steel rods and adding additional slabs as they grew older and bigger and longer of reach until they could use a standard length rifle...It has six slabs, six sets of rods and one buttplate which makes it from 7¾" to 14½" as there are some extra shims (12) made from sheet vinyl showroom display samples cut out for the different lengths, to guarantee a custom fit...

I still start them on that but now with all the adjustable stocks available, it almost isn't necessary except when they're really young say four to seven years old...and of course I can't start them indoors with a rimfire...

With rifles at least you can prop it up on something, a sandbag atop a block of wood, three four sandbags or a steel RTB (return to battery) table rest with a proper sand bags where, while it can be done with a pistol, it's a little too tiring for young shooters to hold let alone hold on target...After they have developed their arm and especially wrist muscles, say by age nine or so then pistol is much simpler to start as they have the basics of sight alignment, breath control, slow squeeze and follow through from the rifles now it’s just refining the control…

My daughters, their friends and the neighbour kids practice nightly in the basement on the 5 lane, 10M range we built and there is a safe next to the area so they can leave their guns here if they want to…I believe everyone of them, now, has a 10M range in their basements for practice and now they’re able to switch around so not one family is inundated with swarms of teenagers and worse still near teenagers (11½ to 13 yrs) who’ll eat and drink their way through your larder quite quickly…

I let the youngsters try out the pistols from when they first start shooting, so they are accustomed to them, somewhat and they get to do what the big kids are doing—big psychological boost right there…My two youngest shoot more pistol then rifle as I can’t get any stocks to fit them properly, because of their builds and lack of rifles for them…

Regardless of what you use -- even bows & arrows, start them VERY close to the target, 5 feet, yes that’s feet, is fine and let them see their hits and let them then start worrying about group size but not score…once they have a good group in the black, move back another 5 feet and do it again and keep doing it until you get to 30 maybe 35 feet and then start to move back ten feet at a time but not until the groups, in the black are small—that’s your goal…By seeing the hits on the target it builds confidence, makes them happy and wanting to continue, wanting to do better, trying to figure out how to move that group from the eight ring at three o’clock to the centre…Keeping it to 30 feet before making a change, gives them 6 sets of targets that they have practiced on and were able to finally get all in the black or the ten ring…now the challenge is a bit farther forcing them to delve deeper into their reserve, steadying themselves and by the time you get to 25 yards, your final destination, you’ll have a solid mid 90s, 4x or 5x shooter on your hands and with practice, coaching and good equipment (that they can trust) especially sights and a 1,000 100x shooter is a strong possibility!
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Denis

Post by Denis »

SeekHer wrote:I've also had some success with teaching some kids how to shoot...
OK, ok, consider me chastised :-)

(SeekHer has probably taught more people to shoot than I have had hot meals...)

Thanks for all the training tips, though! I'll be stealing those techniques...
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Denis wrote:
SeekHer wrote:I've also had some success with teaching some kids how to shoot...
OK, ok, consider me chastised :-)

Chastise, nay!--Belittle?

(SeekHer has probably taught more people to shoot than I have had hot meals...)

Whats-a-matta by you, your range break? You can't cook hot meals anymore? Your significant other must be slightly miffed, irked even!

Thanks for all the training tips, though! I'll be stealing those techniques...
Use whatever you need, for the situation you're in, freely just as I did from other instructors of the provincial Hunter's Safety Course...I was trying to find the word in German that expresses my feelings but couldn't find it and I believe it was gesmacklikunt (?) (sorry about the spelling) that doesn't translate into English worth a damn...

As long as they are having fun, seeing (positive) results then they will return for more or if not at least have a greater degree of respect for firearms in general...

Also, at the end of the session, have things that explode--kinda--like Necco Candy Wafers, or Ritz Crackers...that is the clincher for the deal!

Denis, at best, including formal Hunter Safety and military sniping, my children, their friends and their friends parent(s), I doubt that I've exceeded 250 students and that's over 41 years since I got my instructor's badge at 18...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

When I was teaching people to shoot, I usually let the demeanor of the student guide me in deciding which firearm to teach them first.

For example, the first time my daughter pulled a trigger, she used a .38 special revolver.

When I taught my mother to shoot, it was with a .22LR bolt.

My second son began with a .410 shotgun.

My youngest son (bless his heart)... I can't remember. He literally cut his teeth on a discarded 12 ga shotgun hull. He taught his kindergarten teacher The Four Rules. He was fortunate to be raised conversant and comfortable around all manner of gunny implements. We had a shooting bench in the back yard and targets set up at varying ranges out to 225 yards. I really don't remember what firearm he first used. I've probably warped that boy for life.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

PawPaw wrote:I really don't remember what firearm he first used. I've probably warped that boy for life.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
And we require one million more warped in such a manner!

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Eh, I recommend rifle but everyone (usually girls) want to start with pistol. So I get them to handle and get comfortable with empty .22's both semi and revolvers and then we go to the range. I will let them try anything they want within reason, and start them with one round, then two then three etc. That way dropped or out of line guns have a bit more of a safety margin. I don't baby my shooter though, I let them know it is dangerous and they are going to have to demonstrate responsibility.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Thanks, all! Good advice from everyone. When I put it into practice I'll let you know how it goes.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Can't say that it was a "teaching experience" but the 4yo got to fire her first shots through my heavily customized 10/22 with me supporting the gun and pointing it in the right direction for her. The grin on her face was well worth the 25 rounds in the magazine.

The 7yo likes rifles but has fallen madly in lust with my little Sport Woodsman. It's just his size. Now if I could just get him to use the sights.
Glenn Bartley

Post by Glenn Bartley »

I have started off many adults and a few teens with rifles, and many adults with pistols, and one or two with shotguns (funny how almost no one seems to think of starting a newbie off with shotguns). It all depends on what the adult wants to learn to shoot.

For some reason the above seems to have drifted toward children as being the newbies taught. As for children I started off my daughter and son with air rifles, then moved on to .22 rifles. Did the same with some others, and started some others right off with .22 rifles.

Anyone I start off with either an air rifle or a .22 rifle gets to shoot at 5 yards first if possible. That was the distance used with young shooters when I first learned to shoot in summer camp. Shooting at less than that was considered unsafe for a variety of reasons with new shooters, such as splatter more likely to come back in their faces from shorter distances. With pistols and adult shooters I will start at either 3 or 5 yards, sometimes even 10 or 15 yards. It often depends on the range that is available.

I do not start children or adults off with airguns inside my home. Yes we have shot airguns in the home, but we did it outside first. I do not want to instill the idea that shooting in the home is the most desirable thing, at least not until I am totally satisfied that they have a full understanding and lasting impression about firearms safety - and then would only shoot an airgun in my home - never a firearm unless I had a real range constructed inside - but alas I have not hit the megamillions yet.

I think that a rifle chambered in .22LR is the best all round teaching instrument for new shooters and for their instructors. They are inherently safer than semi-automatics, they are easier to hold correctly that a pistol for new shooters for any length of time, a rifle is easier for the instructor to control should it start to point the wrong way, a rifle takes a quite a bit more movement to turn around to a truly unsafe direction at a range (think about this practically and not with emotion and you will understand what I mean), a bolt action can be used conveniently as a single shot, a .22 is not too powerful to scare someone off due to recoil (yes a .22 does have recoil by the way as opposed to what some seem to think - especially noticeable by younger children learning to shoot), the sight radius makes for more successful shooting right near the beginning of the lessons, a rifle can be altered to make it fit (but I have always preferred to buy one that fits from the get go, such as a youth model, and have found they did not require stock adjustments over the years they were used although I am not knocking stock resizing if someone has the time and know-how and if legal).

I use guns with open sights or peep sights in most instances of teaching with a rifle, and whatever sights come on a pistol. I try to avoid glass for first time shooters, but sometimes have gone almost right to it for various reasons dependent on the student.

Before I teach anyone how to shoot, I teach them how to be safe with a firearm. They do not even get to touch it on there own without first demonstrating to me a good knowledge of firearms safety. Of course with young children that is different than for teens or adults. Teens and adults need to be able to recite about 10 (or more) firearms safety rules to me - none of this abbreviated BS with only 4 almighty rules that are nonsense anyhow the way they are written in my opinion. Younger children on the other hand need to be able to repeat some of them, with help and prodding from me. By the way, I do not, never have, and will not teach children under the age of 5 how to shoot; just my preference. When I do teach youngsters, virtually every move they make while holding the firearm is physically controlled by me with hands on in the first stages, and then with me within easy arms reach of the firearm at all times after that. A child has to be quite an advanced shooter before I will back off more than that. With young children, and usually any new shooter, I strongly recommend an instructor to student ratio of 1-1 for safety reasons or 1-2 at most with more mature shooters. First handling and first shots fired should always be 1-1 if you can do it and unless you are teaching a class of cadets their is no reason it should not be 1 on 1.

All the best,
Glenn B
When I look in the mirror, I am happy to see, some of that nine year old boy, who used to be me.

http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

I've had great luck using an old Iver Johnson lever-22. Easy to do single shots, also easy to let them burn up ammo if they're so inclined and capable.

Personally, I also like to use dry-fire practice where possible, before graduating to ammo - and the lever makes it much easier to do so since the hammer can just be thumbed back...

HTH...

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."