Another New Shooter report

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Captain Wheelgun

Another New Shooter report

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Took one of my long-time friends to Red's this afternoon to get him started shooting. There was recently a home invasion robbery in his neighborhood, and he asked me about getting a gun for home defense. After talking things over, he seemed more comfortable with a pistol than a shotgun.

All shooting today was done at 3 yards because I like to start new shooters up close. We started with my Kimber 1911 with the .22LR conversion. After the first one or two shots, he kept all of the remaining 40 or so rounds in the 6" bulls-eye, with most grouped in about 3-4 inches. We then switched to my dad's Ruger P95DC. Again, after dropping one or two out, he had no trouble putting the rest into the bull.

He was a little nervous starting out, but by the end, he was stoked & ready to do it again. I want to scrounge up a .38 or .357 revolver that he can try before he makes a final decision. I'm also going to take him the the next south Austin gun show the 1st weekend in June.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Rumpshot

Re: Another New Shooter report

Post by Rumpshot »

:jacked:
Captain Wheelgun wrote:Took one of my long-time friends to Red's this afternoon

Which Red's? I spent the morning at the south one with my son and his friends the day before he got married off.

Shoulda done more homework and gotten in touch with you to join us.

Water under the bridge now.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Another New Shooter report

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Rumpshot wrote::jacked:
Captain Wheelgun wrote:Took one of my long-time friends to Red's this afternoon

Which Red's? I spent the morning at the south one with my son and his friends the day before he got married off.

Shoulda done more homework and gotten in touch with you to join us.

Water under the bridge now.
South. I work only a few miles from there, and even from home it's a quick trip.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives