Buckshot on bucks?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Spells

Buckshot on bucks?

Post by Spells »

I never hear about anybody actually using buckshot on deer, despite the name. Do people use it on deer? Is it even legal?
SeekHer

Re: Buckshot on bucks?

Post by SeekHer »

Spells wrote:I never hear about anybody actually using buckshot on deer, despite the name. Do people use it on deer? Is it even legal?
Yes, to all your questions...

Rifled slugs are a fairly modern invention and areas of dense population back east would limit the taking of deer to shotgun only--for fear that rifle bullets would travel too far if a miss occurred and might kill an inhabitant...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Depends on where you are at. In WV and Ohio it is illegal to use it.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I'm pretty sure it's still legal to hunt deer with in NJ. But everyone I know that goes out during shotgun season loads up with slugs.
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

It's pretty much all I've ever used on deer. I've only shot a deer once with a rifle, but quite a few times with buckshot.

Of course, how you hunt is also something to consider. Almost always we have dogs or take turns driving deer out, so the deer are always on the run and much easier to hit with 00 Buck.

I'll use a rifle or perhaps a slug if I'm in a stand.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)