new shooter question

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Ben Rumson

Re: new shooter question

Post by Ben Rumson »

My wife went shooting with me this last Friday. During the new shooter prerange basement training course I offer to all new shooting wives, I discovered that she was left eye dominant. So shes a right/left as well.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Aglifter wrote:According to a complete rumor, it's due to batting right handed at a young age.
Definitely rumor. I've never batted in my life. Right hand/Left eyed also. I have an issue with my right eye that doesn't allow full range of movement and causes a slight head tilt.
Last edited by Dub_James on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Sometimes the easy solution eludes us.

Cross Dominant
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

It does look more common than I'd thought. She's glad to see she doesn't have to do anything weird.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

It can be done. Just tilt the head more. This works better for the pistol than the rifle but many people do it.

My wife is cross dominant also. She learned to squints a little bit to force the "correct" eye to do the work. This seems to have trained her eye over time because she doesn't seem to squint as much as she used to and is shooting faster and better than ever.

I can shoot with either eye from either side although it is easier to shoot right handed with the right eye.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
curtiskacin

Post by curtiskacin »

pistols: left hand, left eye. rifle: right handed, right eye. I have no advice. I don't even understand what I am doing. :lol:
We don't make the problem. We use the problem.

If the battle for civilization comes down to the wimps versus the barbarians, the barbarians are going to win. Thomas Sowell