2nd trip to the range with the XD

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
groover000

2nd trip to the range with the XD

Post by groover000 »

So I went to the range again today hoping that I would at least be able to hit the targets. Not a bad experience relative to last week. These pic are all of target that I printed at home so they are on regular sheet of printer paper except for the first one. I took your advice and tried to concentrate on not flinching. I was able to see the flinch from time to time, but at least now that I am aware of it I can hopefully eliminate it. The range only had markers for the Nevada CCW test so the first pic is at 3 yards, the second at 5 yards, the 3rd at 7 and then the last back at 3 yards. By the time I was done with the third target at 7 yards my arms and shoulders were pretty tired (I guess I need to get the muscles used to these positions). I probably should have stopped there, but I decided to go with one more at 3 yards. Any comments on the pics would be appreciated.
Also, when practicing is Winchester White Box OK. How are the Remington UMC? I buy the white box by the hundred for $30 at Walmart. Just wondering if there are any place at stores or online that I could get a good deal for practice ammo.
Oh, one more thing. Is it OK to pick up my used brass at the range and is the white box brass worth saving. I am thinking about starting to load my own and I figured it would be a good idea to start saving the brass, but I won't if this brass would not be good for reloading.
Thanks
John.

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: 2nd trip to the range with the XD

Post by Combat Controller »

For a new shooter that is a respectable combat grouping right there. I usually go home once I get fatigued and taking breaks has stopped working. Once I start to shoot worse, I can never get better and only get annoyed at myself.

As for the brass, if the range allows it, then heck yeah. Even if you never get to that stage there are plenty of guys who would love you for supplying some good brass to them.

Now that you are on paper, you can work on slow steady pulls and working on where you are hitting on the target.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
cu74

Re: 2nd trip to the range with the XD

Post by cu74 »

CombatController wrote: Once I start to shoot worse, I can never get better and only get annoyed at myself.
That sure sounds familiar....... When the body is telling the brain it's time to go home, it's time to go home. (So why is it that I insist on shooting a few more rounds?)

I agree with CC that those are respectable combat groupings for someone new on the learning curve. We tend to chase that "all shots into one hole" thing like it is the Holy Grail, and that's not a bad thing. However, when the objective is "air in - blood out" it seems to me that a little spacing might be more efficient. (My shooting skills automatically apply the spacing.)

I use both WWB and Rem UMC for practice and can't tell any difference. I also buy bulk reloads from Georgia Arms, although your local ChinaMart prices may be better. PICK UP THE BRASS - that's a significant cost component when reloading. WWB and RUMC brass is good for reloading - I reload both. As CC pointed out, even if you don't get into reloading there are folks out there who will become your new best friend for that brass....
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.