Question

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
sdcert

Question

Post by sdcert »

I have recently recived, through a family tragedy unfortunantly, a Norinco Sporter 7.62. While I am no stranger to fire arms of any kind some how this weapon has escaped me until it was dropped into my lap. My question is, can anyone give me any real info, review, anything on this weapon. It is also missing a magazine. If i could get pointed in the right direction on that I would be grateful
Denis

Re: Question

Post by Denis »

Welcome! Sorry for your trouble, but well wear for your rifle. I know nothing about the Norincos, except that they sometimes turn out fantastically good steel (the good 1911 pattern pistols are reportedly very fine metal indeed). Everyone should have a battle rifle in a serious calibre, and now you have... No doubt someone more knowledgable than I will be along soon with details on that particular model.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Is this an SKS or AK type rifle? Norinco made both, and both are of high quality.

If you are unsure, the AK has an enclosed bolt, usually a pistol grip and a large safety lever on the right side with a tall front sight post. I am pretty sure you can recognize an AK, but I have run across folks with not much familiarity with firearms, so pardon me if this is obvious to you already.

The SKS has an open top bolt and looks more like a traditional rifle.

Both take AK 47 magazines, which are cheap and plentiful. Both are excellent rifles, and will serve you well.

Any further questions, please feel free to post them here.

Condolences on your loss.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

sd,

I could be a MAK-90 which is a chinese version of the AK-47. If so, it will most likely have a thumbhole stock as opposed to the traditional pistol grip.

Post a pic.
The Quiet Man

Post by The Quiet Man »

If it has the thumbhole stock keep a good eye on it. Mine split after about 500 rounds. It couldn't have been any more crappy if they had made it from balsa wood.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

If it has the thumbhole stock keep a good eye on it. Mine split after about 500 rounds. It couldn't have been any more crappy if they had made it from balsa wood.
Yep. That seems to be the only downfall of the MAK 90. I dropped mine a mere 2' onto a tile floor and the stock broke. Otherwise, I absolutely love the gun.