Finally....I have my first gun!

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
groover000

Finally....I have my first gun!

Post by groover000 »

Hello All.
Well I finally picked up my first gun a couple of days ago. I went with the Springfield XD in .45. I got the 4 inch as suggested here (thank you). I haven't been able to shoot it yet because of the usual life getting in the way (work, three kids under 4 years, etc.), but I did go out today and buy eye and ear protection and a box of 100 rounds of ammo. I will be trying it out tomorrow at the indoor range. Just wanted to thank everyone here (and especially Kim whom unfortunately I wasn't able to thank before his retirement). I have been reading about guns for a couple of years now, but never had the extra money to jump in. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

John
crebralfix

Re: Finally....I have my first gun!

Post by crebralfix »

The XD 45 is a really nice gun. People complain about the trigger, but I found it easy to use since the weight was smooth throughout the pull. Enjoy it!
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Great Gun! I've been using my 5" for years as a truck/contest gun, and have been thinking about getting one of the 4" ones for carry... Trying to fight the urge, though... (I have a carry gun "box" as well as a holster box...)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Good deal! I am glad you picked the XD, it is a very fine gun, and very forgiving. You will enjoy it.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Awesome! We're all cheering for you. I know I am - I bought my first gun this year, too.

Just remember, all you need to get good at this shooting thing is a little instruction and *alot* of practice. (That's what I tell myself.) To that end, there's nothing that spells "lots of cheap practice" like a .22 - and as a plus they're FUN.

I think that XD needs a buddy. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

Rockin!

Now of course I missed the first post mentioning the purpose behind the purchase, but as Greg mentioned, practice is key. And of course the key to that practice is slow smooth motion. From draw and presentation through trigger control on to recovery.

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Congratulations! Please post a range report when you get a chance to shoot it. I might want to get one myself someday.

For all the new gun owners out there, now is a good time to read and heed Frank J's Gun Safety Tips, especially #2:
No matter how excited you are about buying your first gun, never run around yelling, "I have a gun", " I have a gun!".
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
The Quiet Man

Post by The Quiet Man »

Yeah for you! An XD45 is a fine first gun. Easy to shoot and take care of. I also have a 4" XD45 and am very happy with it. Watch for spare hi-cap mags and pick up a few (while you still can!)

Remember to write back and tell about your impressions after your first range visit.
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Congrats! You'll find once you have one you'll want more. Maybe not soon but it'll happen. HAVE FUN with it! :)
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Jered

Post by Jered »

And never pistol whip someone with it. It could mar the finish.

;)

And buy a .22 to go with it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.