NEF?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
snarky

NEF?

Post by snarky »

I feel like a beginner this morning- so here goes...

New England Firearms? what do people think of this brand?

And more specifically- the Pardner Protector shotgun? I bought one (18 inch barrel I think- 12gauge) but have not given it heavy use.

The guy at CTD that put me on to it said that it was pretty much a 870 knock off using Chinese parts- he went further to say that it was as close to an 870 as they could get without being sued and that you could even use some Remington replacement parts-Is there any truth to this?

It did seem like a value for an HD application. Have others any good insight?

Thanks
Fivetoes

Re: NEF?

Post by Fivetoes »

It is a Chinese version of the 870, I don't know about the replacement parts. I have read reviews that it is a good gun.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have heard it is a good gun. I am afraid that is all...
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
1991A1

Post by 1991A1 »

I've hunted with NEF rifles for over 15 years. They are a great value and easy to carry. I've owned 2 in .270, and 1 each in .308 and .243. The only funky thing about them is their triggers, not the smoothest, but they work well enough for the price. I also own a Topper shotgun in 12 gauge. It always works, but is a pig to shoot with hot turkey loads. I have no personal experience with the pump action.
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

snarky wrote:I feel like a beginner this morning- so here goes...

New England Firearms? what do people think of this brand?

And more specifically- the Pardner Protector shotgun? I bought one (18 inch barrel I think- 12gauge) but have not given it heavy use.

The guy at CTD that put me on to it said that it was pretty much a 870 knock off using Chinese parts- he went further to say that it was as close to an 870 as they could get without being sued and that you could even use some Remington replacement parts-Is there any truth to this?

Thanks
They ripped off Winchester(1300 series) too, which may be why it's exempt from prosecution. Poor machining inside too, I sure wouldn't want one. Does it shoot? Sure, but for how long you have to wonder. I'd save up my cash for a Remington 870 or just pick up a Mossberg 500 for almost the same price.

Can someone tell me why chinese parts all have that same smell?
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

NEF aren't bad, not my first choice but not my last either.
I've only seen a couple broken over the years, the last had a broken hammer, the sear edge had broken off.

With the exception of the '80's Poly-Tech AK's, I'm extremely hesitant to play with the chinese guns. The heat treatment is hit and miss, the machining runs the gamut from good to "done with a dull wood rasp".

For the money, I'd look for a used Rem 870 or Mossy 500.
1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

New England Firearms started making H&R pattern shotguns and eventually bought H&R. Then Marlin bought NEF. Now "Big Green" (Remington) owns Marlin. Remington imports some of their shotguns from Bikhail of Russia. I would guess this Chinese 870 knock-off is a Remington thing. That would also keep the Chinese from being sued by "Big Green".

The NEF single-shot shotguns and Handi-rifles are very well built and work reliably. I don't know about thier imports.
My ideas are mine. You go out and get your own!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

1911Man wrote: The NEF single-shot shotguns and Handi-rifles are very well built and work reliably. I don't know about thier imports.
+1
Termite

Post by Termite »

snarky wrote: And more specifically- the Pardner Protector shotgun? I bought one (18 inch barrel I think- 12gauge) but have not given it heavy use.

Thanks
You said you bought it primarily for home defense, not for shooting game birds.

Is it reliable enough to bet your life on when you need it? A Mossberg 500 isn't expensive, and is very reliable.
Put another way: Would you buy your wife/girlfriend/mother/sister a Lorcin .25acp and feel you had given her sufficient protection?

YMMV
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Vonz90 wrote:
1911Man wrote: The NEF single-shot shotguns and Handi-rifles are very well built and work reliably. I don't know about thier imports.
+1
+1 (if you are still interested in opinions about the NEF single-shots). My friend had one for the cyotes that raided his chickens.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy