New shooter report

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Greg

Re: New shooter report

Post by Greg »

I have another update. Was sort-of working from home Tuesday, and I had a few hours in between some meetings... so I went to the range again. Except this time I took my 686.

Mind you, this was my first experience firing centerfire *anything*. Yes, all my previous experience was 22lr. I had a box of Speer Lawman practice ammo and some Shoot-n-See 3" bull stickers to replace my high-tech Sparpie marks.

The recoil and blast were more than a 22, yes, but... kind of fun. SA I could put an entire cylinder (6 shots) into the 3" black at 20'. I did that twice, to show the problem was not the gun or my sights because well DA was not so good. Firing DA, all my shots were, to a greater or lesser degree (miss distance) down and to the right about 45deg from the aiming point. Average miss was about 5". At least I kept them all on the paper.

All I can think of is that I was instinctively gripping too hard when I pulled the trigger.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Watch all of these, you'll learn a lot.
Been shooting wheelguns for nearly 30 years and I picked up quite a bit.

Miculek
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

Thanks for that link Whirlibird,

I just watched all the videos with my older kids and did some work with a Ruger SP101. I think all of us learned some stuff.

Too bad I couldn't see an easy way to save the videos, I'd love to put them on my portable player and reference them at the range.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed