A friends 870 3.5' Turkey Shotgun needs help.

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
bubblewhip

A friends 870 3.5' Turkey Shotgun needs help.

Post by bubblewhip »

I'm not that knowledgable about tuning shotguns and a friend asked me about an 870 Shotgun he bought as a turkey gun running 3.5 inch magnum shells and he's looking for a way to reduce the recoil of the gun. Mostly having problems with recoil in the shoulder area and finding it very punishing.

I believe it is this gun, except he says it has a 22 inch barrel on it.

I suggested swapping out the stock and looking at doing a Vang Comp barrel for it, but if wants it ported then he would still like the ability to outfit different chokes if he wanted to. AFIK you can't have both right? I don't know how effective the standard stock is, but would switching the a Houge over-molded stock make a big difference?

What other ways are there to help reduce shotgun recoil?
Rumpshot

Re: A friends 870 3.5' Turkey Shotgun needs help.

Post by Rumpshot »

NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Simple enough. Shoot 2 3/4" loads in it. ;)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote:Simple enough. Shoot 2 3/4" loads in it. ;)
This.

Fitting a better recoil pad or maybe even one of those mercury recoil reducers should help a lot.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

CByrneIV wrote:
They're great stocks, but the motion of them spoils follow through. Not something I'd use for precision shooting, or shots on game.
Good point. I've never shot clays w. mine... only paper.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Lower velocity shells. Take off the recoil pad, you should see a long hollow tube for access to the stock screw. Drop in a spring, then a container full of lead shot, then another spring. Replace recoil pad. Bore the stock out a bit if necessary.

///[XXX]///