Front rail is 0.25'' lower than rear rail. Sights work?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
bubblewhip

Front rail is 0.25'' lower than rear rail. Sights work?

Post by bubblewhip »

I got a 1913 EGW 10/22 base for my Ruger 10/22 and it has a front rail from Tapco. I wanted to fit AR-15 Iron sights because the current EGW rail blocks the standard barrel mounted sights on the 10/22.

The problem is that the rail on the forend sits 0.25 inches lower than the rear rail. I was wondering if there is enough adjustment in an AR-15 aperture sight system to compensate for this difference? I can't get a riser rail because they are all 0.5 inches rise which would just have the same problem in the other direction.

I'll try to get a picture later.
Highspeed

Re: Front rail is 0.25'' lower than rear rail. Sights work?

Post by Highspeed »

I don't think you'll get away with a quarter inch of base height difference. Is your front rail bolted to the fore-end or integral ?
If it's bolted then you could buy or scrounge a piece of 1/4" ally plate to go under it.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

Highspeed wrote:I don't think you'll get away with a quarter inch of base height difference. Is your front rail bolted to the fore-end or integral ?
If it's bolted then you could buy or scrounge a piece of 1/4" ally plate to go under it.
Integral.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

You may be OK if you get a 'gas block' height front sight tower. A 'standard' gas block on an AR is about .25 lower than the rail on a flattop AR receiver, and sights are taller to compensate for this. A 'rail height' front sight will be too short to zero easily.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I am confused. It sounds like you have two pieces. Are you using the rail on the pre-drilled mount on the receiver and something else at the muzzle? If you are doing something like that, take a look at the Tech-Sights. Front and rear sights or just one or the other.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

Rumpshot wrote:I am confused. It sounds like you have two pieces. Are you using the rail on the pre-drilled mount on the receiver and something else at the muzzle? If you are doing something like that, take a look at the Tech-Sights. Front and rear sights or just one or the other.
Yes I'm using a pre-drilled mount on the rear, and an integral rail that is part of the stock on the front. A better solution would to find someone who sells a high dovetail front sight for the 10/22 and use an AR-15 height rear sight. Unfortunately despite the ubiquity of 10/22 parts, no one makes this.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Like this?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

So this is what I mean.
Last edited by bubblewhip on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Not sure why you want to put iron sights on the forend rail if you are using an optic. It isn't like it's a defensive carbine that NEEDS backup irons in case of an optic failure....
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

That's an awkward one. Back where I come from we'd say " It's neither one thing nor t'other "

Custom frontsight I reckon, maybe Chris can make you one.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song