First Gun for my daughter

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
NVGdude

Re: First Gun for my daughter

Post by NVGdude »

Savage Cub or CZ 452 Scout
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Given the problems we've been having recently, I think anything new should be semi-auto. I find it disturbing that this time round, people are calling specifically for those to be outlawed, and don't appear to be confused over the difference between semi and full. We need to modify our purchasing habits.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the M&P 15-22s take unique magazines, available pretty much* only from Smith and Wesson, vs. the 10 bajillion Atchinson pattern rimfire Ars?

*Black Dog Machine apparently offers their 50 round mag, along with the conversion tower to fit the 15-22, but not the regular mags
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

HTRN wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the M&P 15-22s take unique magazines, available pretty much* only from Smith and Wesson, vs. the 10 bajillion Atchinson pattern rimfire Ars?

*Black Dog Machine apparently offers their 50 round mag, along with the conversion tower to fit the 15-22, but not the regular mags
Possibky, but an AR .22 is really just for training, and 2 mags should cover that.
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

HTRN wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the M&P 15-22s take unique magazines, available pretty much* only from Smith and Wesson, vs. the 10 bajillion Atchinson pattern rimfire Ars?
Yeah, they're proprietary mags but not hard to find at all or any more expensive than the Black Dog Machine mags. So far the thing runs like a champ, having suffered a total of 1 failure to feed(out of over 1k rounds).
Formally the IrateIrishman
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:He's probably thinking about the M&P 15-22, not the centerfire one.
I purchased two tools to train my daughter (and her siblings) to shoot. Woot! offerred some refurbished Crossman M4-177 airguns for just under $40, which was what I was planning to use first, so I snatched one of those up. I got the M&P 15-22 this weekend. I still want a bolt 22 for her to use between the airgun and the MP15, but this should be a good start.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

daughter number one got her grandmothers 22 rifle, when she was 18 and a 9mm keltec when she was over 21, daughter number 2 got a Cuban that turned serious american when she was 30 married him and we gave her a 22 NAA revolver this year for Christmas so it depends on the daughter, in other words ask her first.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.