Delta Ring Questions

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Legman688

Delta Ring Questions

Post by Legman688 »

Can someone tell me, roughly, how hot the delta ring on an AR-15 can get?

And

Can someone tell me, exactly, what the circumference of an AR-15 delta ring is?
Opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it - Frazz

Guncounter.com: All threads hijacked in 25 posts or less, guaranteed!
Legman688

Re: Delta Ring Questions

Post by Legman688 »

Yeah... fair enough, that's what I get for being mysterious.

I am toying with a sling design for the AR that includes a Ching Sling type forward loop. Obviously it needs an attachment point at the rear of the handguard. Since not everyone has or wants a quad rail handguard, I am thinking of using a loop of nylon or polyester web that fits snugly around the delta ring assembly, with a small D-ring, as that rear sling attachment point.

Hence I need to know how hot the delta ring, or more accurately the delta ring hand grip, gets in normal use, i.e. will it melt the webbing, and the exterior circumference, so I know what size to make it. If there is significant variation in delta ring hand grip circumferences, this may not be as feasible as I'd hoped. Although I was planning to sew a short length of elastic to the webbing loop to keep it snug.

I have no idea why we named this place the Gun Counter... it oughta just be called "Ask Chris!"

randy

Post by randy »

I'd be interested to know what you come up with.

Guy I shot with in San Antonio many years ago came up with a replacement front receiver pin for the AR. Left side had a QD sling swivel that screwed into the receiver pin. (Of course, you now need a screw driver to remove the pin, but not a big issue for me. I can still open it up for cleaning

I run a full length sling through it with attachment points at the standard front and rear positions. Works well for me as patrol sling or quick wrap around the offhand forearm for improved stability.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Legman688

Post by Legman688 »

Ah. As feared. Thanks Chris.

SHould work on piston ARs like the one I hope to build someday though. Might play with the idea then.

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have a thick rubber O ring as a sling point on my lightweight carbine that I use to compete with. I have run close to 500 rounds straight and it holds up fine. The delta ring is a fairly good insulator. Just use something heavy duty. I'll post a picture if you wish.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.