Dear Abby

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Catbird

Dear Abby

Post by Catbird »

This letter was in today's Dear Abby column:
Dad's Girlfriend Loses Sleep Over Boy's Attraction To Guns

DEAR ABBY: I recently met a man I love dearly, but I don't agree with the toys he buys for his 10-year-old son, "Dale." The boy plays violent video games and is obsessed with guns to the point that we can't leave the house without him bringing a toy gun along. The video games he plays (unsupervised) are violent and gory and rated M (17 and over).

Dale is not mature for his age. In fact, he often whines when he doesn't get his way. He's allowed on the Internet without supervision, and I have walked in and caught him surfing naughty pictures. When I told his dad, he laughed and said, "Boys will be boys!"

Abby, I'm afraid for my 6-year-old daughter. A few weeks ago, Dale decided he wanted to play "good guys/bad guys" with her. When he grabbed my daughter in a choke hold and held a toy gun to her head, she became hysterical. I have since had nightmares that Dale will find a real gun, think it's one of his play guns and shoot my daughter.

I think Dale's obsession is unhealthy, and I don't think it's healthy for my daughter to be around him. How do I handle this with my boyfriend? I love him and would like to spend the rest of my life with him, but I cannot marry him at the expense of my daughter. -- PARANOID AND PERPLEXED

DEAR PARANOID AND PERPLEXED: How did your boyfriend handle the "good guys/bad guys" incident when you brought it to his attention? The answer to that question will provide you with insight into his ability to parent his son, and what your and your daughter's future will be like if you marry him. If his reaction wasn't to your satisfaction, then you must place your child's safety above your heart's desire, and you have assessed the situation correctly.
I don't have any kids, but I think that an adult living in a household should have at least some authority over the behavior of children living with them. As far as advice, my first instinct is to reccomend getting the whole family involved in some kind of firearms training, even if it's just the NRA's Eddie Eagle program.

What do you all think?
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Aglifter

Re: Dear Abby

Post by Aglifter »

Growing up, under no circumstances was I allowed to point a toy gun at a person (unless it was Nerf or a funky squirt gun) I also started shooting at a young age - both served to make me very aware of the significance of a firearm.

I would be very upset, bordering on irate, if someone's child was running around holding a toy gun to my child's head.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aglifter wrote:Growing up, under no circumstances was I allowed to point a toy gun at a person (unless it was Nerf or a funky squirt gun) I also started shooting at a young age - both served to make me very aware of the significance of a firearm.
Same here.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Yeah, he's a lousy dad from the report. What the reality is we will never know. But judging from the letter he needs to take charge of his son. Heck, Fastropes kids practically call me sir half the time. His kids were raised right! I can't imagine any of them behaving in such a manner.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Having respect for other's and their property is basically the essence of the Golden Rule. Q: Would you want someone else to do/treat you the same way and do the same things to you? If not, then perhaps you should re-evaluate what you're doing or have done (and if necessary, apologize accordingly).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Denis

Post by Denis »

CombatController wrote:Fastropes kids practically call me sir half the time.
Well, at least they forget the other half. We wouldn't want you getting used to such treatment... :P