How to NOT Handle a Gun or Two Wounded by Single Round

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
308Mike

How to NOT Handle a Gun or Two Wounded by Single Round

Post by 308Mike »

Linkarooni
Two wounded by single round in gun accident
Written by Pauline Repard 10:30 a.m., Aug. 17, 2011

SOUTH BAY — A 24-year-old man accidentally shot two friends with a single round from his new pistol early Wednesday in the south San Diego neighborhood of Nestor, police said.

A man called police about 1 a.m., reporting that his gun went off accidentally and a friend was wounded at his cousin’s apartment on Wardlow Court off Wardlow Avenue, San Diego police Detective Gary Hassen said.

Officers learned that the man had bought a .40-caliber, semi-automatic pistol, loaded it for the first time, and was laying it on a table with his finger on the trigger. He fired the gun accidentally and the round pierced the right lower leg of a 30-year-old woman. The round continued and lodged in the thigh of a 19-year-old man, police said.

Both wounded victims were taken to a hospital. The man was not arrested, but Hassen said police will seek a warrant on a charge of discharging a weapon in a gross negligent manner.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: How to NOT Handle a Gun or Two Wounded by Single Round

Post by Combat Controller »

No wait, let me guess; a Glock with FMJ right?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

.40 cal with that much penetration and apparently no expansion? And this kind of an ND?
Sounds like a Glock to me.
I thought the purpose of the safety was to add a bit of insurance in the event of a Rule Three violation. Another example of how that Glock "trigger safety" works out in the real world.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

It's to prevent an accidental discharge, not a negligent one.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Windy Wilson wrote:I thought the purpose of the safety was to add a bit of insurance in the event of a Rule Three violation. Another example of how that Glock "trigger safety" works out in the real world.
The Glock safety works fine in the real world; it's there to prevent the gun from firing when dropped, not to prevent idiocy. If you don't want it to fire, don't pull the trigger. Have you had thumb safeties installed on any double action revolvers you might own? Also, it's a bit of a stretch to use this incident to slam Glocks, since they didn't even name the make of the pistol. I'm gonna laugh my ass off if it turns out to have been a 1911.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

This guy has a bunch of videos using water jugs and the 10mm out of a Glock 20. So far I have watched the WST and the Hornady XTP 155 gr.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CombatController wrote:This guyhas a bunch of videos using water jugs and the 10mm out of a Glock 20. So far I have watched the WST and the Hornady XTP 155 gr.
Thanks for the link. Looks like the ST held together beautifully and would really benefit from the extra FPS if they were loaded to the velocity that Winchester claims.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

You used to be able to buy just the bullets. That or changing the powder in a factory round might do the trick.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Midway has the bullets as a component, but last I looked cost was about double that of the 180gr XTP. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of using handloads for every day carry ammo, although I may just stick with the WST for "city" ammo and come up with something stouter for woods carry. Then again, we've got lots of moose and even bears running around the city, so perhaps not.