Douchebags

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
JustinR

Re: Douchebags

Post by JustinR »

JimTX wrote:And don't forget to have some Sponge Bob band-aids along with you. Long as Sponge Bob is wearing DigiCam Square Pants, that is?

(can someone photoshop that one, please?)
Ask, and ye shall receive!
spongebob-camopants.jpg
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Ag,

I found that one, too. It was the source of my minor anguish, but it unless I missed it, it doesn't provide a correct citation.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Erik

Post by Erik »

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_Orwell
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
This has commonly been attributed to Orwell but has not been found in any of his writings. Quote Investigator found the earliest known appearance in a 1993 Washington Times essay by Richard Grenier: "As George Orwell pointed out, people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." The absence of quotation marks indicates Grenier was using his own words to convey Orwell's opinion; thus it may have originated as a paraphrase of his statement in "Notes on Nationalism" (1945): Those who "abjure" violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf. There are also similar sentiments expressed in an essay which Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling, quoting from one of Kipling's poems: "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep."
This sounds like a plausible explanation. If this is correct then the intent of the quote is true, but the actual quote is paraphrased.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne