Shipping a firearm to someone in the same state.

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Dazen

Shipping a firearm to someone in the same state.

Post by Dazen »

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or not. I had some unexpected medical bill's hit me so Ive been selling off a few firearms to cover the cost's. Ive always just stuck with FTF deals in the past. I have a buyer for a rifle but it will have to be a shipped and that's when things get a bit fuzzy to me. I told the buyer I was a bit uncomfortable shipping a firearm but I might consider trying it if I cant sell it local. He Followed that up by sending me a link to some 2008 post on a SKS form that had folk's saying it's legal to ship firearms to anyone in the same state with out having to go through a FFL. Is it true? Is it as easy as just driving down to the FEDEX guy's and shipping it off or will i get some hell trying to do it with out sending it to a FFL?
Ben Rumson

Re: Shipping a firearm to someone in the same state.

Post by Ben Rumson »

A lot of sellers in Virginia doing FTF are asking for ID and CHPs to CYA. I believe we can ship, but I wouldn't feel right about it without actually meeting the person.

It would be hard to clear yourself of any negligence or wrong doing if you never even met the guy.

Just my .02 from Virginia.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Thanks for the clarification gentlemen. I think I'll just stick to FTF deals then, I do feel much more comfortable doing so.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

By the way, welcome to the forums!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.