making guns???

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
HTRN

Re: making guns???

Post by HTRN »

Interesting confirmation of my hunch, even if I got the details are wrong - they're arming themselves from modern factory made(relatively speaking) weapons, rather than the hammered out of mystery metal, hoping it kinda works deal that the Pashtuns are doing.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

Grunt Medic TXARNG wrote:
HTRN wrote:I'd be willing to wager that most, if not all of the guns taken off of tangos in Iraq were made in Eastern Europe, and a healthy percentage of the stuff in Afganistan is coming from Pakistan, only actual factories, vs. some guy in a hovel with a hammer and a file.

HTRN
Iraq manufactured AKs of all types (an AKM/AKMS variant called the Tabuk, a long barreled Tabuk sniper variant, RPKs, the 'Rashid' variant of the SKS and an SVD/PSL variant called the Al Kadesiah) in its own factory to arm its military - and when we came in for the second time the government arsenals were looted. You can also find Chinese, Russian and Bulgarian AKs there. My buddies in Afghanistan relate much the same story - except that insurgent arms there are even more of a hodgepodge since there were no large armories to loot - with everything from hundred year old British made bolt action rifles to AKs of every stripe, origin and condition.
The rashid was not a version of the sks. It was an entirely different type of semi auto.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

So?
Did Snarky's dad ever take the next step?
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Jered

Post by Jered »

CByrneIV wrote:
Jered wrote:
The rashid was not a version of the sks. It was an entirely different type of semi auto.
And much closer to the SVT/Tokarev side than the SKS
I think it's closer to the AG-42. The Rasheed is based on the Hakim which is based on the Ljungman. All three use a direct gas impingement type design.

The only two features that are common with the SKS are the bayonet and the fact that it uses a 7.62x39 cartridge.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Flintlock Tom wrote:So?
Did Snarky's dad ever take the next step?
Considering that Snarky hasn't been here since January, we may never know.

As for the gunmakers of the Hindu Kush, the quality of their products may not be any worse than the Poles in Warsaw in WW2. The calculus may be a case of where they may be dead within a week if they do nothing, or two weeks if they shoot back with the pot metal guns.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy