buyin' an EBR

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: buyin' an EBR

Post by Combat Controller »

kparker wrote:To partly answer my build question (but also to ask for a sanity check from those of you who have actually done it!), I found this description on Cruffler.

Ignoring the April 1 date (or maybe I shouldn't), is this typical? Because if so, it's way more than I want to be involved with at the moment; it seems on the same scale as a "Build An AK From Flats" project, rather than a "Pick An Upper And A Lower And Bolt Things Together" AR kind of project.
Yeah. Building an AR is tinkertoys compared to an AK or an FAL.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
kparker

Post by kparker »

Yeah. Building an AR is tinkertoys compared to a ... FAL.
Part of this surely must be starting with all-new components vs actually rebuilding in the case of the FAL. (And am I correct in understanding the DS Arms are all-new made-in-USA pieces, not rebuild imports?)
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

kparker wrote:
Yeah. Building an AR is tinkertoys compared to a ... FAL.
Part of this surely must be starting with all-new components vs actually rebuilding in the case of the FAL. (And am I correct in understanding the DS Arms are all-new made-in-USA pieces, not rebuild imports?)
I haven't checked lately, but they used to offer a rifle built from Austrian parts on one of their US receivers (with necessary substitutions for 922r), and for more money, a fully US made FAL.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
kparker

Post by kparker »

NPR,

Thanks for the hint; yes they do have a series of "Austrian" rifles make from imported parts + a new receiver, for about $400 less than their all-new ones.

Next question: if I were to go the FAL route, why would I prefer Inch or Metric pattern over the other? I've read that magazines of one pattern will fit in either pattern rifle, but that the other one won't (but I forget which is which.) This would obviously give more versatility; are there any other considerations?
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Inch vs Metric.

Metric mags and parts are the majority of what's available "cheaply".

However in an INCH RECEIVER you can use both magazines. However the metrics may nose dive enough not to be reliable. For the extra $100, it's not worth the issues in magazine compatibility.

The parts will interchange somewhat, an Inch lower can be assembled on a Metric Upper and vice versa. However the sights won't match up. The barrel breaching methods are different also. The Metrics are easier to build with out getting into the breching washers and such.
However you can easily build an inch kit on a metric receiver. You just breech it differently.

Clear as mud?

If you have questions and need actual answers, go register on The FAL Files and the guys there will help immensely. And if you're lucky there's someone building in your area who can help and has the tooling already.
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

M1a Mags aren't that expensive. Look for teh Taiwan type 57 (?) mags. They are built on our original equipment, and I have never had a malfunction with one.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed