making guns???

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
HTRN

Re: making guns???

Post by HTRN »

Most of the small time bolt action makers like Stiller, Hall, Nesika, etc cut the bolt lug raceway with a wire edm - A guy on the Homegunsmith forums was selling receiver blanks with the raceway edm'd already, for something like 200 bucks.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:It's attached to the headstock tube. The method varies - some lathes have the back end of the headstock threaded, in which case, you thread the spider to screw in. Others don't so it's usually held in place with setscrews/bolts.
Aha. Thanks!
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

HTRN wrote:Most of the small time bolt action makers like Stiller, Hall, Nesika, etc cut the bolt lug raceway with a wire edm - A guy on the Homegunsmith forums was selling receiver blanks with the raceway edm'd already, for something like 200 bucks.

HTRN
What percentage of completeness are those considered -- this week?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Windy Wilson wrote:
HTRN wrote:Most of the small time bolt action makers like Stiller, Hall, Nesika, etc cut the bolt lug raceway with a wire edm - A guy on the Homegunsmith forums was selling receiver blanks with the raceway edm'd already, for something like 200 bucks.

HTRN
What percentage of completeness are those considered -- this week?
The ATF doesn't deal in percentage of completeness; that is just an industry term used for marketing purposes. All the ATF cares about is whether it is a receiver, or just a chunk of metal, but your point is the same either way.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Windy Wilson wrote:What percentage of completeness are those considered -- this week?
All it is, is a piece of barstock with the bolt raceway cut into it. That's it. It may be considered a 10% by the BATFE.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Welcome to our forum.

As a manufacturer myself, not of firearms, my swag for a set up of high end gun making is going to be around $1 million in basic equip to start plus you need some serious skilled smiths with experience. So with salary, marketing, overhead, etc look at $2 million to start and hope to be profitable in 3-4 years. I assume these are going to be shootable? Otherwise contract them out to China, much cheaper and you can get high quality work. That or E Europe with all the machines in place.

With more info I could help you get a better idea of the costs. I mentor small business people on how to get off the ground.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Considering the market, "Fine European made pistol" has a better ring than "Made in China".

HTRN

Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

They're going to have to spend a pretty penny to get a decent finisher (buffer) and someone that knows their way around bluing tanks. It takes years to get really good at both.

Not cheap in either case.

If they are really wanting to make pretty wallhangers, they might consider contracting with Doug Turnbull for the finish work.
snarky

Post by snarky »

Thanks everyone for the input
Grunt Medic TXARNG

Post by Grunt Medic TXARNG »

HTRN wrote:I'd be willing to wager that most, if not all of the guns taken off of tangos in Iraq were made in Eastern Europe, and a healthy percentage of the stuff in Afganistan is coming from Pakistan, only actual factories, vs. some guy in a hovel with a hammer and a file.

HTRN
Iraq manufactured AKs of all types (an AKM/AKMS variant called the Tabuk, a long barreled Tabuk sniper variant, RPKs, the 'Rashid' variant of the SKS and an SVD/PSL variant called the Al Kadesiah) in its own factory to arm its military - and when we came in for the second time the government arsenals were looted. You can also find Chinese, Russian and Bulgarian AKs there. My buddies in Afghanistan relate much the same story - except that insurgent arms there are even more of a hodgepodge since there were no large armories to loot - with everything from hundred year old British made bolt action rifles to AKs of every stripe, origin and condition.