making guns???

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
HTRN

Re: making guns???

Post by HTRN »

Dedicated_Dad wrote:
HTRN wrote:Not anymore than monkey's pounding on typewriters makes them bards. They(the "gunsmiths" of the tribal areas) build low grade crap.

HTRN
Low grade crap that WORKS. Plenty of our guys (and those of our allies) would vouch for the efficacy of their AKs - if they could.
Actually, it works, a coupla times. then it stops, or blows up in your face. I'd be willing to wager that most, if not all of the guns taken off of tangos in Iraq were made in Eastern Europe, and a healthy percentage of the stuff in Afganistan is coming from Pakistan, only actual factories, vs. some guy in a hovel with a hammer and a file.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

On the lathe, should they get one that can do really long barrels in case they want to do something a little different?
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

What do you mean? Are you talking about contouring? In that case, you most likely would order the barrel already contoured to your specification, and then just fit them to the gun.

If you are talking about contouring, you could either do it with a tracer setup, or a CNC lathe - with CNC being the far better choice. A new Haas CNC toolroom lathe, model TL-1, has a work envelope of 16x30", and costs 23,000 BEFORE all the optional features. The TL-2 jumps the price to 27K, and the max length to 48". The first will do 98% of the barrels on civilian guns. The second will do 99.9999% of all civilian sporting guns, and they have CNC lathes all the way up to 35"x80".

If you're not talking about contouring, and just about fitting it(threading, chambering, etc), that's done in the headstock, and it doesn't matter how long it is, because it's supported at the other end by a "spider"(seen here supporting the action end of a barreled action, probably for threading the muzzle). The issue with lathes is the headstock diameter - most anything 10" or smaller has a sub 1.375" diameter headstock thru hole. That generally means you can't do centerfire barrels as it won't fit through the head stock. CtoC length DOES NOT MATTER when using this method - for example, a Clausing 5914 has a 12x24" envelope, yet because you're doing the work in the headstock, you can thread 36" barrels... So long as they're less than 1.375" in diameter.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:... it's supported at the other end by a "spider"(seen here supporting the action end of a barreled action, probably for threading the muzzle).
The spider is the shiny ring with the four legs, no? What is supporting it / what does it go onto?

Enquiring minds...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It's attached to the headstock tube. The method varies - some lathes have the back end of the headstock threaded, in which case, you thread the spider to screw in. Others don't so it's usually held in place with setscrews/bolts.

HTRN

Fill

Post by Fill »

when guns are outlawed, only machinists will have guns.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Fill wrote:when guns are outlawed, only machinists will have guns.
I feel sorry for you guys. :mrgreen:

And on that note...

HTRN

Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Actually, I was thinking of contouring barrels. I thought you had to get blanks and would contour yourself.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

No. Most of the barrel makers will make any contour you want, for slightly extra money(gotta write a program, and can't do barrels in batchs/setup time). If you start ordering barrels in bulk, the price drops - Hart, for instance, even has a discount schedule

HTRN

Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Fill wrote:when guns are outlawed, only machinists will have guns.
Milling machines don't kill people, people kill people!
http://www.jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/boltaction.htm
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy